cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting i.MX RT1020 EVK using a MCU Link Debug Probe

VolcanicCheese
Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to connect i.MX RT1020 EVK using an MCU Link Debug Probe. I was wondering if I am connecting the MCU Link Debug Probe to the i.MX RT1020 EVK correctly?

I was not able to get the PC to recognize the MCU Link Debug Probe is connected to the PC. It was only able to connect when I shorted the J3 jumper to update the firmware other than it would not connect. However, I was able to successfully update the firmware on multiple PC and got the same exact reuslts with multiple PC. I tried to make sure the cable worked by flashing the i.MX RT1020 EVK and seeing if the board was running correctly.

This is a picture of my connection:

VolcanicCheese_0-1655935313885.jpeg

For Context:

I have a custom board designed based on the i.MX RT1020 EVK that has only a JTAG connection so I am trying to burn the eFuse using UART and trying make sure my process is correct before trying it on my custom board. Also, if I use the USB cable, the i.MX RT1020 EVK connects to the MCUBootUtility program successfully.

Thank you for your help and reading the long post

0 Kudos
3 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @VolcanicCheese ,

Thank you for your interest in the NXP MIMXRT product, I would like to provide service for you.

At first, I want to check with you:

1. How do you want to connect your MCU LINK debug to the MIMXRT1020-EVK board? not SWD, just the UART port, I mean you want to use the MCU LINK's on board TTL-USB, right?

2. If you want to use SWD, your connect is wrong, as I didn't find you connect the  SWD interface between two board.

3. If you want to use the serial download mode, you need to use the correct RT1020 UART interface:

kerryzhou_0-1655949150827.pngkerryzhou_1-1655949246364.pngkerryzhou_2-1655949269033.png

If you use other interface for GPIO_AD_B0_06 and GPIO_AD_B0_07, you need to disconnect J25, J26.

You also need to let the board enter the serial download mode instead of the internal boot mode. Then you can use the MCUBootUtility to download it if your board doesn't have issues.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

VolcanicCheese
Contributor III

Yes,  the UART port and yes the USB on the MCU Link.

Yes, I was on Serial Downloader boot mode.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @VolcanicCheese ,

So, you need to make sure:

you need to disconnect J25, J26.

Then, the MCU-LINK UART_RX -> RT UART_TX, 

MCU-LINK UART_TX->RT UART_RX.

You also can connect the MCU-LINK UART_TX and TX together, then send data to it's own COM, whether it can receive it's own data, just the self testing at first, after it works, then you can test it with the RT board, please note, the RT board also has the on board VCOM port, make sure the PC side select the correct COM port, if you are using the MCU-LINK, you need to make sure the PC tool select that correct COM port.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos