Capturing Ethernet packets in Wireshark (enet_txrx_transfer on RT1064)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capturing Ethernet packets in Wireshark (enet_txrx_transfer on RT1064)

Jump to solution
D_TTSA
Contributor V

Good day

I am trying to detect and capture Ethernet packets from my NXP RT1064 EVK, using the enet_txrx_transfer example.

I have tested this example with a loopback cable - it works as expected.

I would like to use this example to inspect the board's transmitted Ethernet packets in Wireshark.

I believe I can use this example as-is to test the Ethernet communication from the board since the packets have a broadcast destination address.

I have connected an RJ45-RJ45 cable between the EVK and my computer.

When I run the program, auto-negotiation is successful, and frames are transmitted.

However, no incoming Ethernet frames are shown in Wireshark.

The board then prints that it receives frames, but I'm not quite sure what these contain.

I think these received frames are the frames transmitted by the computer to check for a connection, because Wireshark shows that they are consistently sent regardless of the state of the board's program (caveat: I am still new to this kind of work).

I have tried changing the destination address to the IP address of the computer but that didn't work either.

It feels as if there my computer is doing some kind of 'blocking', since I know the transmitted frames are indeed on the cable (since the loopback test works with enet_txrx_transfer).

Note: The Ethernet port is set to 'promiscuous mode' in Wireshark.

Could someone please tell me how I can capture the packets in Wireshark?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
D_TTSA
Contributor V

I found the problem: Symantec Endpoint Protection was blocking the frames.

Turning network protection off and then using Wireshark to capture the packets worked perfectly.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Lukas_Frank
Senior Contributor I

Hi guys,

I am trying to apply transmission and receive operation scenario between two IMXRT1064 EVK. One of them is receiver and one of them is transmitter.

Two scenario exist below:

1-) There is not capturing packet in receiver side when I use two EVK connected to each other.

2-) Packets are capturing correctly when I connect EVK to PC.

So, I thought that there is no problem with receiving packets because of EVK receiving packet from PC. But, there is a problem in transmission phase.

Could you please help me about the issue?

Here is my details : IMXRT1064-ENET-Transfer-between-EVKs 

Thanks and Regards.

0 Kudos
D_TTSA
Contributor V

Hi @Lukas_Frank 

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to help you.

I would suggest creating a new post (not on this thread) so that NXP can help you. If they don't reply within an acceptable time frame, you can also create a support ticket on their website. 

Kind regards

D_Tram23

D_TTSA
Contributor V

I found the problem: Symantec Endpoint Protection was blocking the frames.

Turning network protection off and then using Wireshark to capture the packets worked perfectly.

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi D_Tram23,

Thanks so much for your solutions.

In fact, I find a lot of customer meet the PC Protection tool to permit the testing tool normal working.

So, when meet the tool working issues, we can try to stop the PC protection tool at first.

If your question is solved, please help to mark the correct answer to close this case.

Any new questions, welcome to create the new post.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos
D_TTSA
Contributor V

Thank you - I've done that.

0 Kudos