Can the Data Co-Processor be used as an encryption engine for the external SDRAM?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Data Co-Processor be used as an encryption engine for the external SDRAM?

henrique1
Contributor III

Hi,

The current system I am working on, using the i.mx RT 1020 chip, should ideally run the application code from the external SDRAM. I've already set up an example bootloader that simply copies the application program image from Flash to the SDRAM and runs it, however now I'm thinking how to secure the data that's stored there during run-time.

I understand that the FlexSPINOR Flash interface comes "equipped" with the Bus encryption engine that enables seamlessly encrypted Flash data, however what is the equivalent system for external volatile storage? I've been investigating the "i.MX RT1020 Processor Reference Manual" for a while now, but haven't been able to reach a conclusion.

Thanks in advance!

Henrique

Labels (1)
3 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Henrique Nogueira,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and the opportunity to serve you.
First, the RT series is able to implement your purpose, I'd like to suggest to download the secure version of RT's reference manual and I think it can help you make it.

pastedImage_1.png

i.MX RT1050 MCU/Applications Crossover Processor| Arm® Cortex-M7, 512KB SRAM | NXP 

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

henrique1
Contributor III

Hi jeremyzhou,

I've been looking into the document you've mentioned but couldn't reach a conclusion yet. The DCP provides AES capabilities but the manual effort seems to be very high. For example, how could I run an encrypted program from the external SDRAM?

Best regards,

Henrique

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Henrique Nogueira,

Thanks for your reply.
Maybe you can consider using BEE to implement it. In addition, there's a BEE demo project in the SDK library, it demonstrates how to setup BEE driver for on the fly decryption of data stored in QSPI memory region.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos