Can i use iMX RT1020 Boot ROM 96KB?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i use iMX RT1020 Boot ROM 96KB?

jtro
Contributor III

I'm using iMX series first time and i have question about boot ROM?

1) Can Boot ROM memory space is user programmable like internal ROM?

2) How to implement custom user specified bootloader? Any user manual?

3) If boot ROM is modifiable then where is the default bootloader source code so i can modified that?

My purpose is to update user application (.bin file XIP mode which is encrypted and can use on the fly decryption).

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

i.MX Boot ROM cannot be modified and its sources are not provided.

Customers can use API, provided by the on chip ROM, that allows the use of the

HAB library to extend the root of trust and authenticate additional software images.

Look at HABv4 RVT Guidelines and Recommendations Application Note for more

details.

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12263.pdf 

Customers can consider i.MX RT1020 Flashloader as an example of custom user specified

bootloader. Its sources may be found in mcu-boot\ directory in the i.MX RT1020 SDK package.

Welcome | MCUXpresso SDK Builder 

Have a great day,

Yuri.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored

Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

jtro
Contributor III

As I referred few documents and understood that if i need to update firmware by any custom protocol then i have to have secondary bootloader which execute from external flash and will execute custom Firmware update process.

It means I have to make  two regions in Flash Secondary bootloader and Firmware. When device is powered ON primary bootloader (inside ROM) will jump to secondary bootloader. Secondary bootloader will verify Firmware Image stored in Flash OR check for Firmware update request, If request not received and Image is OK then it jumps to Image location.

1) How to program fuse bits and Encryption key inside ROM? Any utility available? Any sample code?

2) Can I program Encryption key multiple times?

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Use "How to use i.MXRT Security Boot" Application Notes for more details.

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/sps/download/mod_download.jsp?colCode=AN12079&location=null&appType=moder...

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos