CANopen SDK changing Peripherals

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CANopen SDK changing Peripherals

ahmed_mostafa
Contributor II

I'd like to use the CANopen SDK demo that comes with MCUXpresso (for the EVKMIMMXRT1060) but I would like to change the peripheral from FLEXCAN_2 to FLEXCAN_1. What are all the steps i need to do to change the demo code to output the CAN signals from the FLEXCAN_1 peripheral? Specifically, I'd like to use these two pins:

CAN1TX---GPIO_AD_B1_08

CAN1RX---GPIO_AD_B1_09

Please advise me as to all the steps I would need to do to configure this peripheral and get CAN signals out of it.

I've already modified the BOARD_InitPins() function in the pin_mix.c file and added these commands:

IOMUXC_SetPinMux(
      IOMUXC_GPIO_AD_B1_08_FLEXCAN1_TX,       /* GPIO_AD_B0_14 is configured as FLEXCAN2_TX */
      1U);                                    /* Software Input On Field: Force input path of pad GPIO_AD_B1_08 */
  IOMUXC_SetPinMux(
      IOMUXC_GPIO_AD_B1_09_FLEXCAN1_RX,       /* GPIO_AD_B0_15 is configured as FLEXCAN2_RX */
      1U);                                    /* Software Input On Field: Force input path of pad GPIO_AD_B1_09 */

IOMUXC_SetPinConfig(
      IOMUXC_GPIO_AD_B1_08_FLEXCAN1_TX,       /* GPIO_AD_B1_08 PAD functional properties : */
      0x10B0u);                               /* Slew Rate Field: Slow Slew Rate
                                                 Drive Strength Field: R0/6
                                                 Speed Field: medium(100MHz)
                                                 Open Drain Enable Field: Open Drain Disabled
                                                 Pull / Keep Enable Field: Pull/Keeper Enabled
                                                 Pull / Keep Select Field: Keeper
                                                 Pull Up / Down Config. Field: 100K Ohm Pull Down
                                                 Hyst. Enable Field: Hysteresis Disabled */
  IOMUXC_SetPinConfig(
      IOMUXC_GPIO_AD_B1_09_FLEXCAN1_RX,       /* GPIO_AD_B1_09 PAD functional properties : */
      0x10B0u);                               /* Slew Rate Field: Slow Slew Rate
                                                 Drive Strength Field: R0/6
                                                 Speed Field: medium(100MHz)
                                                 Open Drain Enable Field: Open Drain Disabled
                                                 Pull / Keep Enable Field: Pull/Keeper Enabled
                                                 Pull / Keep Select Field: Keeper
                                                 Pull Up / Down Config. Field: 100K Ohm Pull Down
                                                 Hyst. Enable Field: Hysteresis Disabled */

What else do I need to do?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Beau2022
Contributor I

It's very disappointing that given the iMXRT1060 is advertised as having three (3) CAN ports and a CANOpen library provided with the SDK does not allow one to just change which port one can use. That's VERY DISAPPOINTING

0 Kudos

Beau2022
Contributor I

For that reason I will NOT use the EmSA CANOpen library. I will be modifying an open source CANOpen library. It makes no technical sense for there not to be a way to use ANY one of the three (3) CAN peripherals. No sense whatesoever!!!

0 Kudos

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Ahmed,

First of all, please accept my apologies for my late reply. We have been under a big workload.

Regarding your question, unfortunately this customization is not possible because FlexCAN2 is initialized in MCO_Init API which is part of the CANOpen library integrated within MCUXpresso SDK. You can find the related manual in the following path of the SDK package.

SDK_2.7.0_EVK-MIMXRT1060\middleware\canopen\doc

I am sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you.

Best regards,

Felipe

0 Kudos

Beau2022
Contributor I

@FelipeGarciaI'm not sure why you refer the person asking the question re: changing peripherals, not sure why you refer them back to EmSA manual. Going back to the manual will NOT help them resolve the issue.

0 Kudos

ahmed_mostafa
Contributor II

I'm running my software on the Teensy 4.0, so I don't have access to that same GPIO_AD_B0_14_FLEXCAN2_TX and GPIO_AD_B0_15_FLEXCAN2_RX that is used in the example. Can I still use FLEXCAN2 but use the

CAN2.0 CANRX2 ---GPIO_AD_B0_03  and

CAN2.0 CANTX2 ---GPIO_AD_B0_02

peripherals instead? If so, what would I need to do to accomplish this?

I'm desperately trying to get CANopen on the Teensy 4.0, so I appreciate any help.

I also notice that evkmimxrt1020 uses FLEXCAN1 and does compile onto the iMXRT1062 mcu that I have, could I leverage that library instead to use FLEXCAN1 but change the pinmux to use a different set of pins?

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos