cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN module for SLN-Alexa-IOT kit

alfonso1
Contributor I

Hello,

From the documentation it looks like the SLN-Alexa-IOT has flexCAN drivers to handle CAN communication but does not have the hardware to support it. I wanted to know if it is possible to get an external CAN transceiver in order to utilize the flexCAN drivers already provided. If so, are there any suggestions and what pins would it need to be connected to?

Thank you,

Alfonso

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

Sabina_Bruce
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Alfonso,

Hope you are doing well.

Simply put, yes it is possible.However this may be more complicated  and time consuming than what is expected. The SLN-ALEXA-IOT is based on the RT106x family, meaning that CAN is supported as you have stated. You can find the details of how to use this CAN module in the iMXRT106x Reference Manual as well as the pins in the datasheet. 

The complicated part here will be doing the rework of the hardware in order to add the transceiver. As you may have observed the SLN-ALEXA-IOT kit is quite small. In addition, the packaging of the microcontroller will force you to remove the packaging to create the connections for the transceiver. The available pins that may be used to connect a transceiver are not populated. The layout design is specific to the requirements and size of this solution, please consider that making any changes directly to the SLN-ALEXA-IOT will potentially bring functionality problems.

The packaging is as below:

pastedImage_1.png

If you are interested in working with CAN I'd recommend to use the iMXRT1060EVK which has this implemented along with the transceiver and examples in the SDK. 

If you are interested in working with both the kit as a whole in addition to the CAN. Then I would consider creating your own PCB based on the schematics and layouts of the SLN-ALEXA and include space and connections for the transceiver. 

Please let me know if this helps or if you have further questions.

Best Regards,

Sabina

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

0 Kudos