cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing up a new design from 'cold'

chriscowdery
Contributor V

Hi All,

We have just taken delivery of a new board design, using the iMXRT1021. It's currently just populated with the iMXRT1021 and a serial flash on the FlexSPI. The power supplies all come up, and the internal DC-DC is working OK.

QUESTION 1: I would have expected to be able to communicate with it via SWD, but it does not respond. Should I be able to even with an unprogrammed Flash?

QUESTION 2: I need to be able to use the ROM Bootloader via UART. As far as I can tell, Mfg-tool2.exe does not support UART, it only supports USB. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Chris.

Labels (1)
5 Replies

chriscowdery
Contributor V

Note that if you use AN12238.pdf with iMXRT1020, then the write and jump addresses are incorrect. See this thread:

https://community.nxp.com/thread/494766 

0 Kudos

chriscowdery
Contributor V

Thankyou for the information.

I will look at the SWD interface more to try to understand why it doesn't work.

I will also try the information in AD12238.pdf.

Chris.

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Chris Cowdery,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) I would have expected to be able to communicate with it via SWD, but it does not respond. Should I be able to even with an unprogrammed Flash?
-- Before answering this question, I was wondering if you can introduce the steps of testing you did.
2) I need to be able to use the ROM Bootloader via UART. As far as I can tell, Mfg-tool2.exe does not support UART, it only supports USB. Is that correct?
-- Yes, it's correct.

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

chriscowdery
Contributor V

Hi Jeremy,

Thankyou for confirming about MFGTool2.exe. OK.

For the SWD, I tried two methods (both using J-Link from Segger):

1. From IAR EWARM. I used the exact same project that I used with the MIMXRT1020-EVK. I just hit Download & Run, but it cannot connect to the CPU.

2. J-Link Commander. You can type 'connect' and it will communicate with the CPU. It cannot find the CPU.

I verified the signals electrically, both SWD-CLK and SWD-IO are OK. They are both driven by the J-LInk OK. But the CPU does not respond.

I have had a problem in the past when I 'bricked' the EVK, and the only way to fix it was to use MFG-Tool to reload the Flash.

Thanks,

Chris.

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Chris Cowdery,

Thanks for your reply.
1. In my opinion, the core detection mechanism is nothing related to the external QSPI flash, so I'd like to suggest you check the SWD interface circuit at first.
2. If your customized board has the UART interface, it's still available to use the Serial Downloader feature via the UART interface and you can learn how to make it by refer to the attachment.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.