cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Azure RTOS for NXP Microcontrollers

arimendes
Contributor III

Hi,

Based on the link below. Azure RTOS  will be free for some NXP Microcontrollers. What microcontrollers would be?

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/rtos/

https://www.electronicsweekly.com/news/business/azure-rtos-available-nxp-mcuxpresso-2020-04/ 

When Azure RTOS will be supported in the  MCUXpresso SDK?

0 Kudos
9 Replies

Seif
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Sabina @Sabina_Bruce,

After 1 week, here is a gently reminder to my question.

Thanks
Seif 

0 Kudos

Sabina_Bruce
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Seif,

Hope you are doing well. When this question was originally posted the azure examples were for iot and did not use azure rtos. This has now began to get implemented in our SDKs. You may choose the RTOS you would like to use when downloading the SDK a pop down option allows you to choose between bare-metal, freertos or azure rtos.

nxf51209_0-1605737887981.png

Please note this is not available in all our microcontrollers. 

Best Regards,

Sabina

0 Kudos

Sabina_Bruce
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Ari,

Hope you are doing well. There are already Azure examples included in the SDK of a variety of microcontrollers that we offer. Do you have a particular family in mind? Kinetis, LPC, iMXRT?

Please let me know so I can check them for you and provide you with more details.

Best Regards,

Sabina

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

arimendes
Contributor III

Hi Sabina Bruce,

Is there any example for the MIMXRT1020-EVK?

I would like to use it for the LPC557x/LPC558x. Will this family be licensed for Azure RTOS? 

And when the LPC557x/LPC558x documentation will be available?

Ari.

0 Kudos

Sabina_Bruce
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Ari,

Hope you are doing well.

At the moment for the RT family the RT1050 has examples. The porting to other microcontrollers must be done by customer at the moment, since we do not have examples yet.

For the LPC there is currently no available examples using the Azure IoT middleware. 

The LPC557x/LPC558x is not in pre-production stage yet, so we do not have information available to the public of the release of its documents. Please keep an eye out on our main page for news of the release.

Best Regards,

Sabina

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

GanesanGuru
Contributor IV

Hi @Sabina_Bruce ,

How to port the Azure RTOS for iMX RT1064 from the examples of iMX RT1050? Is there any guide to do so?

0 Kudos

brendonslade
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You are looking at a pretty old thread here - all the i.MX RT10xx and rt116x/7x products already have Azure RTOS examples in the SDK. Please look at the SDK builder site (https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com) or download the SDK from within MCUXpresso IDE to find them.

0 Kudos

Seif
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Sabina @Sabina_Bruce,

Are you talking about the following azure examples in the RT1050 SDK ?

Seif_0-1605085091908.png

Are you sure these example are RTOS examples ?
The question mainly was about azure RTOS (threadX) and I think these examples are still using FreeRTOS from Amazon:

Seif_0-1605085327296.png

Can you please clarify that ?

Thanks in advance,
Best regards.
Seif

0 Kudos

brendonslade
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Azure RTOS examples are contains under the RTOS directory in the SDK package. You can also browse what is there using the mcuxpresso.sdk.com package builder; use the Middleware and Example filters to see that:

brendonslade_0-1608057038642.png

Azure Cloud examples (as you were looking at) in SDK2.8 are older, and are based on a FreeRTOS implementation. From SDK 2.9.1 (see Jan 21 release) we will have examples for connecting to Azure Cloud based on Azure RTOS (ThreadX) for platforms with Ethernet. This release will also add support for the other i.MX RT10xx devices.

0 Kudos