Why is the use of a super capacitor as RTC backup not recommended?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the use of a super capacitor as RTC backup not recommended?

Jump to solution
imxrtuser
Senior Contributor I

Hello,

according to this post https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/RTC-backup-for-MIMXRT1064/m-p/1208061 the use of a super capacitor as RTC backup is not recommended by @fangfang.

Why is it not recommended?

Kind regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

First of all, there has lots of discussion space about "using supercapacitor as RT106x product RTC backup power source". I don't like the "no recommendation" words with mentioned thread either.

That's really a case by case topic. To be honest, we can not simply say "no" for any  technical discussion. With the supercapacitor development, new device with more energy density and lower leakage current. And the customer application has various requirements, the backup time could be mins/hours/days, that also leave the usage space.

So, I am sorry for the comments at listed thread. We keep open for the supercapacitor usage as RTC backup. 

best regards,

Mike 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
imxrtuser
Senior Contributor I

Hello Mike,

thank you for your reply!

Kind regards,

Stefan

0 Kudos
Hui_Ma
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

First of all, there has lots of discussion space about "using supercapacitor as RT106x product RTC backup power source". I don't like the "no recommendation" words with mentioned thread either.

That's really a case by case topic. To be honest, we can not simply say "no" for any  technical discussion. With the supercapacitor development, new device with more energy density and lower leakage current. And the customer application has various requirements, the backup time could be mins/hours/days, that also leave the usage space.

So, I am sorry for the comments at listed thread. We keep open for the supercapacitor usage as RTC backup. 

best regards,

Mike 

0 Kudos