Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an MCU-LINK-PRO Debug Probe with RT1170EVK

Jump to solution
LuisC
Contributor II

Hello,

I am currently working with an MCU-Link Pro Debug Probe and an RT1170EVK. My goal is to test the debug functionality of the MCU-Link Pro for a board that will be using an RT1172 and will not include the on-board debugger circuit of the EVK.

My question is, are there any modifications that need to be done to the MCU-Link Pro or RT1170EVK (Removing jumpers, breaking traces, switch configurations, etc...) for me to be able to achieve communication between the two? What I have tried so far is I have the debug probe connected to my host PC, and I am connecting the J7 port of the debug probe to the J16 port of the EVK through a 10 pin jumper. When attempting to flash in any rt1170 SDK, I get the following exception:

"Unable to connect wire for probe index 1.
Error: Wire Ack Fault - target connected?

Unable to connect wire for probe index 1.

at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.redlink.client.RedlinkServerClient.checkServerReply(RedlinkServerClient.java:227)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.redlink.client.RedlinkServerClient.wireConnect(RedlinkServerClient.java:1281)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.emulators.jtag.AbstractJtagDiscovery.ideConnect(AbstractJtagDiscovery.java:240)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.emulators.jtag.AbstractJtagDiscovery.connect(AbstractJtagDiscovery.java:196)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.emulators.jtag.AbstractJtagDiscovery.discover(AbstractJtagDiscovery.java:155)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.emulators.TargetDiscovery.jtagDiscovery(TargetDiscovery.java:454)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.launch.LaunchScriptUtils.getEmulatorInfo(LaunchScriptUtils.java:257)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.launch.LaunchScriptUtils.init(LaunchScriptUtils.java:497)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.launch.LaunchScriptUtils.<init>(LaunchScriptUtils.java:165)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.launch.LaunchScriptUtils.<init>(LaunchScriptUtils.java:152)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.services.TargetDiscoveryService.getTargetDiscovery(TargetDiscoveryService.java:138)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.override.LSFinalLaunchSequence$TargetDiscoveryJob.run(LSFinalLaunchSequence.java:124)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)"

Also, by connecting the debug probe to the EVK like this, am I utilizing the on-board debugger circuit at all? Like I said, my goal is to use this debugger probe on a custom board that won't have this debugger circuit integrated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @LuisC ,

MCU-LINK-PRO can debug the MIMXRT1170, not only the RT1170EVK, also your customer RT1172.

When you test the RT1170-EVK, please connect to the J1 or J58 port, that is the JTAG interface.

You also need to remove the on board debugger, please disconnect J5,J6,J7,J8.

If you use the JLINK firmware, you also can use the JLINK commander to check, whether you can find the ARM core or not, just when the ARM core is found, the connection is OK to debug.

If you still have issues, please give me your connection photo, I will help you to check it. I have tested that connection previous, totally works OK.

Best Regards,

kerry

View solution in original post

3 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @LuisC ,

MCU-LINK-PRO can debug the MIMXRT1170, not only the RT1170EVK, also your customer RT1172.

When you test the RT1170-EVK, please connect to the J1 or J58 port, that is the JTAG interface.

You also need to remove the on board debugger, please disconnect J5,J6,J7,J8.

If you use the JLINK firmware, you also can use the JLINK commander to check, whether you can find the ARM core or not, just when the ARM core is found, the connection is OK to debug.

If you still have issues, please give me your connection photo, I will help you to check it. I have tested that connection previous, totally works OK.

Best Regards,

kerry

LuisC
Contributor II

Thanks, that did the trick. I was also wondering if there was a jumper I could use on the EVK to test out the power measurement feature of the probe?

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @LuisC ,

For the power consumption testing, I have written one PPT for it previously for the internal trainning.

Just share some picture to you at first, if you still have issues, please help to create the new question post and let me know.

kerryzhou_0-1685587606214.png

kerryzhou_1-1685587667822.png

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos