Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SDRAM on IMXRT1170

Jump to solution
ahmedhrabi
Contributor III

Hello,

I am working on the RT1170 EVK, and I want to change the SDRAM memory. The operating mode is XIP in an MCUXpresso project. I have found little support on how to do this, and here is the question I have:

Is changing the configuration in the DCD file (dcd.c) sufficient to use a new SDRAM memory?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello

Yes, the DCD allows you to configure your SDRAM as it writes to the SEMC registers needed to set your memory. You can configure your SDRAM in code based on the semc example however if you want to execute from SDRAM it needs to be set through the DCD.

Best regards,
Omar

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alex-APMemory
Contributor I

FYI, if you are planning to change SDRAM, I'm not sure what is the driver for your plan, but you can use Octal PSRAM instead of legacy SDRAM. This would support the same bandwidth with much lower pin count and power.

AlexAPMemory_1-1706713909526.png

For testing purpose on the RT1170 EVK, you can use U21 BGA24 slot from MXIC Octal NOR Flash (MX25UM51345G). Many Octal PSRAM option are possible such as 64Mb APS6408L-OBM-BA, 128Mb APS12808L-OBM-BA, APS25608N-OBR-BD, 512Mb APS51208N-OBR-BD.

Alex

0 Kudos
Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello

Yes, the DCD allows you to configure your SDRAM as it writes to the SEMC registers needed to set your memory. You can configure your SDRAM in code based on the semc example however if you want to execute from SDRAM it needs to be set through the DCD.

Best regards,
Omar

0 Kudos