cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

yocto - need huge disk size to handle it

Dennis_Han
Contributor II

Hi

I'm a newcomer for yocto project.  and simply a newbie.

however, I was just surprised for the disk size of working directory itself. it takes almost 40G bytes for qte-embedded building.

and it increased to the 90G bytes now for another build option (x11).  WOW.

I use vmware and allocated to 100GBytes for embedded jobs.  and it's kind of shocking !

my disk is FULL.

is it a normal ? or am i missing something ?

Dennis Han.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

dougschwanke
Contributor IV

Yes, we have seen the same thing.  You are not missing anything.  You may want to use shared files for download and sstate, which can save you about 2G.

This comes from the Freescale Yocto User Guide

A Yocto build can take considerable build resources both in time and disk usage especially when building in multiple build directories. There are methods to optimize this use a shared sstate cache and

downloads directory. These can be set at any location in the local.conf

DL_DIR="/opt/freescale/yocto/imx/download"

SSTATE_DIR="/opt/freescale/yocto/imx/sstate-cache"

These directories should have appropriate permissions. Note the shared sstate helps when multiple build directories are set – each uses a shared cache minimizing build time. A shared download directory

minimizes fetch time. Without these settings, Yocto defaults to the build directory for the sstate cache and downloads.

Every package downloaded in the DL_DIR directory is marked with a <package name>.done. To avoid fetching, touch the .done file for the package name.

0 Kudos