cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi device tree

sumosumo
Contributor I

Hi all

I am using wandboard quad and made a minimal filesystem and kernel under yocto framework.

Wifi wasn't working with the minimal image , so I manually added the wifi driver (bcm4329-fmac) and the suitable firmware.

my question is: How come wifi is working (there is an interface and i get results on "iw wlan0 scan") without updating the device tree files (I did not encountered any compatible name "bcm4329-fmac") ?

Thanks

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello sumo,

It is very necessary to add wifi to device tree, for example:

(1) Multiplexing SDIO PINs connected to WIFI card

(2) Initializing corresponding data structure of SDIO

(3) Initializing GPIOs for controlling WIFI's power and reset.

Above work must be done in BSP.

Hope above advice can help you !

Regards,

Weidong

0 Kudos

sumosumo
Contributor I

Hi Weidong Sun

First, thanks for your quick reply.

I understand that with the device tree you can config GPIOs, IRQ etc.. (and basically  and more generally, initialize the pdev pointer which is sent to the probe function with the relevant values)

What I still did not get is how (in this case) the kernel registered the wifi driver if there is no compatible field associated to that driver?

Best Regards

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello sumo,

compatible field should be in your wifi driver, you can check if there exists a file name of.c, and search the filed.

Regards,

Weidong

0 Kudos

sumosumo
Contributor I

Hi

shouldn't compatible field be in the driver (of.c in this case) and in the dts file as well ?

Isn't compatible field who makes the binding between device-tree and the driver ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos