wic image on Windows

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wic image on Windows

davidvescovi
Contributor V

I have been doing Yocto build on a cloud hosted Ubuntu VM.

When my build finishes I use WinSCP to download the build artifacts to my Windows 10 desktop.

Our corp. I.T. dept. does not allow Linux PC or VM's thus building in the cloud.

I use to be able to just use the "xxx.yyyy.sdcard" file and directly program my SD card with the Win32DiskImager utility.

I see newer Yocto versions now use "xxx.yyy.wic" as the image file.

I know how to use this to program a SD if you are hosted on a Linux PC but I only have Windows.

1. Is there a utility that can be used to directly to program an SD card using the .wic file on a Windows PC?

2. Is there a utility to convert a .wic file to a binary image format I can use with Win32DiskImager?

3. Is there a Windows imager that can take a .wic file as input?

4. Is it possible to modify the build to always produce a .sdcard file?

Note: WSL (Windows Services for Linux) is NOT an option. I.T. disabled that too. 

17 Replies

guodeguo
Contributor I

I'm new for coding, I have the same requirement that I need to pass image to other guy and they can flash SD card in windows.  search egine bring me here and I get nothing finally. 

from the discussion, seem like this is not NXP question but a Yocto question, yes, it's yocto question after someone pointed it out. so what? not helpful for sovling the problem, ervery real developer is grown from a beginner, no matter how smart or stupid he is. 

Here is my try and it works in win10.

my yocto image is format of xxx.wic.zst.

step 1: use 7-Zip-zstd (it supports zst, not 7-zip) to extract zst to wic.

step 2: insert your SD card to Windows

step 3: open rufus, seleclt your SD card,  select your wic image.

step 4: burn it, that's done.

Hope it's helpful for somebody others since this topic started a long time ago. 

josephzhou1
Contributor V

Hi, all ,

my answer to this poor customer  is very simple: YES SIR, WE HAVE A TOOL CALL UUU CAN DO THE JOB(windows or linux, ios etc. ), SIMPLY TRY THE COMMAND LINE BELOW PLEASE :

uuu -b emmc_all  imx-boot-imx8qxpmek-sd.bin-flash  imx-image-full-imx8qxpc0mek.wic.bz2

HOPE THIS CAN HELP YOU ,  if any issues again please paste and share here we will help you as soon as possible , common  C language programming problems are also welcome , can be discussed here too.

thank you sir , have a nice day , hope you like NXP and continue to support our Company products .

thank you . 

Best Regards,
Joseph Zhou Jianhui / Senior Embedded Software Engineer, Singapore
0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Joseph Zhou Jianhui / Senior Embedded Software Engineer,

again, as I said a real developer will like my answers and documents in this community. 

For this case, you even don't know this customer intended to do. 

0 Kudos

shawncadams
Contributor I

This has nothing to do with what the question was. This is about you, BiyongSUN, being a pompous unhelpful **bleep**. I have been a medical product hardware developer for 16 years. I have designed dozens of complex systems. I have never had a manufacturer talk to me that way before. Maybe I'll just grab some screenshots and @nxp needs to hear about it on Twitter. You can say "treat yourself as a developer" all you want, but you are nobody. Your only purpose is to help people with their issues. I came to the forum just to looks for something unrelated. But I felt the need to comment because your arrogant, unhelpful, condescending response made me angry.  

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This customer knows uuu. 

This customer has better skills than you have. 

Because they are looking for and try to know the format of .wic if it is still a sdcard mirror they can use win32 disk imager.

and you even don't know what they are looking for.  

and customer question is how to use win32 disk imager. 

The question is can wic be used by win32 disk imager. 

Read the questions carefully before you answer. 

1. Is there a utility that can be used to directly to program an SD card using the .wic file on a Windows PC?

2. Is there a utility to convert a .wic file to a binary image format I can use with Win32DiskImager?

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

The way you  treat  .sdcard, you treat .wic. 

You are an engineer, why not try rather than asking? 

0 Kudos

shawncadams
Contributor I

This is how NXP employees provide support? Figure it out yourself? What a joke. I'm just trying to program an image file a customer gave to me. I don't have, nor do I want, to spend time "figuring it out." I'll just not use NXP products ever again. 

josephzhou1
Contributor V

hi, my poor friend , actually you can go NXP / Contact us /support/live chat to feedback your feeling in 24/7 .

then they will find the employee and manage him 

below it is my live chat some scrren shot , if any employee scold you and you feel angry pls goto live chat please :

=============================

NXP Live Chat (4/15/2022, 1:39:45 PM): We are so sorry for his unfriendly attitude

Me (4/15/2022, 1:39:51 PM): u know him , Biyong SUN ?
NXP Live Chat (4/15/2022, 1:39:58 PM): I don't know him
NXP Live Chat (4/15/2022, 1:40:05 PM): but I can find his name in our email list

====================

NXP Live Chat (4/15/2022, 1:40:15 PM): and I can find his manager
Me (4/15/2022, 1:40:33 PM): think he is no.1 and customers are all stupid
NXP Live Chat (4/15/2022, 1:41:03 PM): this does affect NXP support team seriously 

========================

we see how ?

Best Regards,
0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Below is question and your answer

Please confirm simply and directly. 

1. Do you understand the question before you give answer? the question is not about uuu?  

2. You answer is correct or not to this question?

I have been doing Yocto build on a cloud hosted Ubuntu VM.

When my build finishes I use WinSCP to download the build artifacts to my Windows 10 desktop.

Our corp. I.T. dept. does not allow Linux PC or VM's thus building in the cloud.

I use to be able to just use the "xxx.yyyy.sdcard" file and directly program my SD card with the Win32DiskImager utility.

I see newer Yocto versions now use "xxx.yyy.wic" as the image file.

I know how to use this to program a SD if you are hosted on a Linux PC but I only have Windows.

Note: WSL (Windows Services for Linux) is NOT an option. I.T. disabled that too.

23 hours ago 88 Views
josephzhou1
josephzhou1
Contributor V
Hi, all ,

my answer to this poor customer is very simple: YES SIR, WE HAVE A TOOL CALL UUU CAN DO THE JOB(windows or linux, ios etc. ), SIMPLY TRY THE COMMAND LINE BELOW PLEASE :

uuu -b emmc_all imx-boot-imx8qxpmek-sd.bin-flash imx-image-full-imx8qxpc0mek.wic.bz2

HOPE THIS CAN HELP YOU , if any issues again please paste and share here we will help you as soon as possible , common C language programming problems are also welcome , can be discussed here too.

thank you sir , have a nice day , hope you like NXP and continue to support our Company products .

thank you .

Best Regards,
Joseph Zhou Jianhui / Senior Embedded Software Engineer

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Don't know me? 

Lots of developers know me, because of the following link

i.MX Development Miscellanea(i.MX 开发杂记)
https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX-Development-Miscellanea-i-MX-%E5%BC...

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It doesn't matter which chip/solution you use, you need to learn the common knowledge such as C language programming, Yocto, emmc JEDEC spec, IEEE, etc.

It is you who should ask the customer who gave your the image, because maybe it is  custom image use different format maybe not .wic. 

You ask us to guess or figure out. You should have a sense as a developer, custom image could be different format against demo image.  We should guess to answer you? 

If it is demo image, it is wic, you should know how to use .wic. If you don't know learn this Yocto common knowledge. 

Please treat yourself as a developer.  even ask question, to be professional. 

Hope one day you can know this case is a pure Yocto case, should not be here.

0 Kudos

josephzhou1
Contributor V

Hi, all

As I known , this guy  BiyongSUN  always scold his customers  in the past few years , not improve at all .

we will continue to monitor this situation see how it is developing in the world's famous NXP community 

thanks all please like this and share it around as much as u can 

thanks again

Best Regards,
0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Here is question for you:

1. The question here is a pure yocto question or not? anything related to i.MX processor? 

Tell me, please.

2. with the Yocto document and bmaptool manual, could you figure out the win32 disk imager can or cannot use the .wic. 

Again, treat yourself as a developer. 

Yocto Project Development Manual

Untitled.png

bmaptool(1) — bmap-tools — Debian jessie — Debian Manpages

Untitled2.png

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please tell me, my answer is correct or not. 

This question is a pure Yocto question or not? 

Please treat yourself as a developer. 

If you have read me several years, you will know my answer quality is good for a real developer. 

and a real developer like my answer and my documents. 

Please treat yourself as a developer.  Lean spec. Learn common knowledge. 

0 Kudos

BiyongSUN
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Technically, it is a question of Yocto. 

Do not ask question not i.MX Processor. 

If you even don't know it is a question of Yocto, go to Yocto project site to learn. 

It is common knowledge for you to learn.  

This common Yocto knowledge you ask for support is same you ask for supporting a question of C language programming. 

0 Kudos

MarcinChelminsk
Contributor IV

@davidvescovi @CarlosCasillas 

this is pretty old issue however I would like to provide some insight, perhaps it could be helpful for someone else looking for that.

The "bitbaked" image is for example: imx-image-multimedia-imx8mn-ddr4-evk-20220308195802.rootfs.wic.bz2

In Windows environment, you can decompress this .bz2 file to get .wic file (for example using 7-Zip tool).

And actually you are ready to go with Win32DiskImager, just open this tool and choose .wic image (by default Win32DiskImager allows only .img .IMG files therefore you need to change that filter to show all files) and finally hit Write (the same workflow as in case you work with .sdcard image)

I have tried to burn SD Card choosing .wic image as described above and seems this is working perfectly fine.

Hope that helps!

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi David,

On the more recent GA releases of the i.MX Yocto BSPs, the .sdcard output of the built image is still an option. They are available on the following page:

i.MX Software | NXP 

In case of using the Community BSP, you could try contacting with its mailing list. You could take a look to the following link for additional details:

FSL Community BSP 

Just as a hint, if you would like to generate the built image as .sdcard image, you could add the “sdcard” file system type to the IMAGE_FSTYPES variable when building in Yocto; please refer to the link below for more details:

Yocto Project Reference Manual 

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tags (3)