video decoder (ADV7280) on IMX8 processors (->yocto)?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

video decoder (ADV7280) on IMX8 processors (->yocto)?

agmc1971
Contributor I

Hello,

I would like to use the adv7280am (mipi csi2 interface) linux driver on a i.MX 8M Mini.

The only way to enable adv7280 driver (VIDEO_ADV7180 ,under media-> i2c section https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/media/i2c/adv7180.c ) is to disable the "autoselect ancillary drivers"..but in any case I did not suceed to make it work (no video conversion).
There is also the MXC_TVIN_ADV7180 (under video->capture section ), but seems that it is not possible to enable it.

Is the driver supported and working at the moment by the iMX8 processors as it was on iMX6? If yes, does it use the available hardware (vpu?) at the best? If officially not supported, is it planned to work on it in the future? I think it is an important stuff to allow video acquisition from analogic cameras.

Thanks for your time, have a nice day.

Alex

0 Kudos
3 Replies

agmc1971
Contributor I

Hi Joan,

thanks for your answer.

The problem is that such documentation is for IMX6  processors (" MIPI CSI-2 for i.MX 6 is MIPI-Camera Serial Interface Host Controller"), infact on the  IMX8 it is not possible to enable "MIPI_CS2 support"..

pastedImage_1.png

moreover inside the adv7180.c file (the i2c linux driver) I cannot find  mipi_csi2_enable() reference as described in iMX reference manual.

I found that a similar mipi csi2 device, the ov5650_mipi_v2 (under platform/mxc/capture)  runs on the iMX8 using the mxc_mipi_csi.c driver.

Addiction: someone can help me to find more documentation (related to adv7280) on how to configure the .dts file ?

Should be something starting like..

i2cX@1c22000 {

adv71801: adv71801@21
{
status = "okay";
compatible = "adi,adv7280-m";

reg = <0x21>;
cvbs = <2>; //video channel in 
csi_id = <0>;

...??

??

infact there is a text file on the kernel documentation but it is not exhaustive..

https://github.com/westerndigitalcorporation/RISC-V-Linux/blob/master/linux/Documentation/devicetree...

i2c0@1c22000 {
adv7180@21 {
compatible = "adi,adv7180";
reg = <0x21>;
};
};

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,

Alex

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

mipi csi in imx8mm is like imx7d, for driver, you should refer to the media/platform/mxc/subdev, the media/platform/mxc/capture is for imx6q/d, pls double check it again

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

i.mx8MM MIPI CSI2 should support this video decoder, you can refer to the chapter 6.1.8 Source Code Structure of enclosed file about mipi csi2

and imx8MM has vpu decoding and encoding

0 Kudos