cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

u-boot for imx - mainline-custodian-fslc-imx

rsm4
Contributor II

Hello,

I just want to ask if someone can tell me a story about all the different u-boot versions.
I have figured out that following u-boot repositories exists but I'm not sure when it is best to use which one.

1. Mainline from denx
    I think this verison is the one which has the main development in term of u-boot itself without any SoC specific task. But the imx processors are supported so far to be able to work with it. It seems that it need some work to get things working like secure boot. Also the mfgtool / uuu tool from NXP is not supported without extra patches ...

2. Custodian u-boot-imx
    I'm not sure what the idea is behind that version. It seems that it is not far away from mainline but did not have all the extra items from NXP's u-boot-imx

3. u-boot-imx from NXP (codeaurora)
    This one seems to be behind the u-boot mainline (some Kconfig configuration missing, etc. ...) but it seems to support all the imx specific things like secure boot (HAB, CAAM, ...), booting from qspi and the fastboot stuff to be compatible with mfgtool / uuu tool.

4. u-boot-fslc from freescale community
    This one seems to be similar to the custodian one but it does not have such a SoC specific deepth like the u-boot-imx from NXP.

So I'm confused a little about all of them.
Can anyone of you write a short comment to ALL of them?
Also the strategy of NXP would be intereseting. Is it of interest to bring the SoC specific code to mainline?

It would be nice to get detailed answers!

Best regards

Labels (1)
3 Replies

jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @rsm4 

1. Mainline from denx. As you detailed, it is the main development of Uboot, it is the generic one. Without any addon on it, it is the vanilla version.

2. Custodian u-boot-imx
    No Idea of this version.

3. u-boot-imx from NXP (codeaurora). This is the official version supported by NXP and recommend by NXP to be used in our SoC and boards.

4. u-boot-fslc from freescale community. This version it is our Open Source if we can said that way, it is not supported directly by NXP, it is based on the Linux Community to be supported but it is based on the Official, but in this case, we do not provide support or patches, updates or any other change. But it is guardian by an NXPer.

Our Strategy it is basically to have the Official Supported version (number 3) and the Open Source to be supported by Linux Community (number 4).

0 Kudos

rsm4
Contributor II

Hello @jamesbone !

Thank you for your response!

I just miss one importand information for me:
According the u-boot-imx from NXP (codeaurora). Is it planned to stay near mainline or in other words will there be some updates on NXP u-boot-imx where parts from mainline will be merged into the NXP u-boot-imx?

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos

jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes it is planned to be near to mainline, but this does not mean that every update from Mainline we are going to updated.

0 Kudos