u-boot.bin vs u-boot.imx. How to boot with .bin ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

u-boot.bin vs u-boot.imx. How to boot with .bin ?

danny30
Contributor I

Hi,

I have a question about u-boot.bin and u-boot.imx. Basically I generated 2018-u-boot.bin and 2018-u-boot.imx. The .imx file worked fine with command "sudo dd if=u-boot/u-boot.imx of=${DISK} seek=2 bs=512". Is it possible to boot with 2018-u-boot.bin file and how to write this .bin file to sdcard so that it can boot ? I tried different ways couldn't boot with .bin file

Second question would be the format of .bin and .imx, I compared both in hex editor and found that the .imx file had some header append it. Basically .imx = imx header + .bin. I have 2009-u-boot.bin that came from the iMX53 Loco dev kit. This .bin file does not appear to have any imx header. More importantly, the command to write is "sudo dd if=u-boot.bin of=/dev/sdb bs=512 && sync && sync" and this command worked, the board booted. Can you help me understand why this u-boot.bin worked without imx header ?

Thank you !

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Adrian

difference between u-boot.bin and u-boot.imx is described in

u-boot.bin and u-boot.imx 

uboot documentation

README.imximage\doc - uboot-imx - i.MX U-Boot 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos