u-boot and config_evn_extra_setting

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

u-boot and config_evn_extra_setting

netstv
Contributor II

Sorry for the stupid message to the group.  I sent it before realizing I needed to add this discussion and not blast everyone an email.

So I have the evk and bootlets and all that good stuff building on my system. 
(Ubunutu Linux true (not a vm)) 
 I use the makefile from the imx-bootlets-src-10.12.01.tar.gz file to create a boot stream from the u-boot elf I built. 
The sources of the u-boot are from the ltib (I don't use ltib I have my own build system which I've used for 2 years on the mx25)  
I just took the u-boot directory and patches from the ltib.  
I load the boot stream onto my evk all fine and dandy with my cool ported usb downloader that runs on 
linux.  
The one thing that is driving me nuts and maybe someone else has seen this, is that in the 
mx28_evk.h I set CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS to a bunch of nfs boot params so I don't have 
to type it in everytime.  
When I type printenv at the u-boot prompt I see...   
GNET MX28 U-Boot > printenv 
stdin=serial 
stdout=serial 
stderr=serial 
ethact=FEC0 
ver=U-Boot 2009.08-svn45823 (Aug 30 2011 - 17:04:15)  Environment size: 106/130044 bytes 
GNET MX28 U-Boot > 
GNET MX28 U-Boot >   
Nothing nadda .. nothing of interest to me.  
You'll also notice that the CONFIG_SYS_PROMPT works so I know my header file is being picked. 
 I even went so far as to hexdump the imx28_ivt_uboot.sb to see if I could find the string and all my 
stuff is there.  
oiy vey!  
I'm sure I'm missing some stupid u-boot #define CONFIG_TURN_THIS_ENV_ON param somewhere. 
 I thought I'd ask you guys to see if you've seen this.  
Thanks in advance. 
 -stv 
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Jean-PaulLePape
Contributor I

Hi,

I would like to build U-BOOT for the i.MX28 EVK board without using LTIB like you did. Could you please give us the steps to perfom that (where to get and copy U-BOOT and apply the patches from LTIB project)

Thanks for your help,

:-)

0 Kudos

netstv
Contributor II

ok .. found it....   

#define CONFIG_ENV_IS_EMBEDDED

That does it.

ciao.

0 Kudos

netstv
Contributor II

yes on the null terminating.

maybe I'll try your other config_bootargs etc...

I think it may have something to do with the ENV_IS_EMBEDDED... stay tuned... I'll post it once I figure it out.

0 Kudos

dot_bob
Contributor I

Are you null terminating the strings you are supplying to CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS?  Also take note there are string length limitations you have with #define statements which can also limit how much you can define.

Here is a snippet of code from a boot loader of mine

#define CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS \
         "autoload=n\0" \
         "firstboot=1\0" \
         "calibratets=1\0"

You may also try using the following two defines instead of the CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS.

Note: these are code snippets from a ARM9 project of mine not using an i.MX28.

#define CONFIG_BOOTARGS                "root=/dev/mtdblock5 rw rootfstype=jffs2 console=ttyAM ramdisk_size=4000"
#define CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND         "cp.b 0x600C0000 0xC0080000 0x00400000;bootm 0xC0080000"

-Rob

0 Kudos