power up new Freescale dev board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

power up new Freescale dev board

brokencog
Contributor I

Hello. I recently received two Freescale iMX6Q development and base boards.

I have followed the quick start quide ( for both CPU stand-alone boot and mounted on base board) however I don't seem to be able to get a display image.

The board has 4 green LEDs which light, and the dip switches are configured per the Quick Start Guide.

The LCD monitor is digital, and connected to the HDMI port.

I have booted the SD card supplied by Freescale and am expecting an image of some sort, even just POST messages to appear.

Nothing happens.

Any suggestions on what to explore?

-daniel

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

What board is used in the case ?

Can You see boot log on console ?

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

brokencog
Contributor I

Yuri, thanks for the reply -- I very much appreciate your help.

So, I seem to have figured out the problem.  Although I know it is likely not going to be believed.

The dip switches seem to have corrosion on them.  After cycling the switches a lot of times the board works perfectly.

I tested this on a new, out of the box board.  Powered on, with correct dip switch settings and board wouldn't turn on.  Cycled the switches a dozen times, board powered up.

0 Kudos

brokencog
Contributor I

Yuri, thanks for the response.

I'm using the XMCIMX6QAICPU1 cpu module board.  Which has a iMX6Q CPU.

Neither the serial console nor the video out show anything.

I have the serial connected via a Serial-USB adapter with a console app configured to the 11.5k 8/n/1 settings.

The Video is via the HDMI to an LCD with digital input selected.

-daniel

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

You may try the recent BSP

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L3.14.38_6UL_LINUX_DOCS&Parent_nodeId=1337699481071...

or demo images (“imx6qsabreauto” files) of the previous release :

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L3.14.28_1.0.0_iMX6QDLS_BUNDLE&Parent_nodeId=133769...

“i.MX_Linux_User's_Guide.pdf” describes how to deploy boot images.

As first step it makes sense to prepare U-boot only configuration.

Note, there is no GUI demo for “imx6qsabreauto”. You have to build it,

using “Freescale_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide.pdf”.

Have a great day,
Yuri

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

brokencog
Contributor I

Just to clarify a bit, is there a command line mechanism to create the .sdcard image file other than via MFGTool?  It seems all the other components run in this Ubuntu VM, it would be nice if that step could be done in the same VM as well.

Also,

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

As has been mentioned, You have to build the needed image,

using “Freescale_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide.pdf” :

$ MACHINE=imx6qpsabreauto source fsl-setup-release.sh –b build-fb –e fb

$ bitbake fsl-image-qt5

Regards,

Yuri.

0 Kudos

brokencog
Contributor I

okay, thanks.  I'm following the User Manual for loading the U-Boot onto the SDcard.   Something from the User Manual which I haven't been able to understand is this::

A .sdcard image contains all four images properly configured for an SD card. The release contains a pre-built .sdcard image that is built specifically for the i.MX 6Quad Sabre-SD board. It runs the X11 graphical backend. It will not run on other boards unless U-Boot, the device tree and/or the rootfs are changed.

How can I generate this .sdcard image?  And, what is the release file being referred to as "release contains" because none of the tar files I've downloaded contain anything with a "*.sdcard" filename.

I'd like to be able to generate the image, but can't find any explanation on how to do that.

-daniel

0 Kudos