cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plymouth/dracut and i.mx6

matthiasalbrech
Contributor III

Hi,

I try to solve two problems: I want to have an animated splash screen. And I want to remove the black screen between Linux splash and the start of a QT-application (xserver and qt need approx. 1-2 seconds for startup). Both problems I could solve with plymouth. Or somebody has another idea?

Plymouth and dracut are already part of my yocto-image. As I understand, dracut should enable Plymouth automatically if it is installed. I build an initramfs-image with dracut (which is in /boot -directory), but how can I integrate that initramfs-image? What are the steps to use plymouth in Yocto in general, are there any instructions?

actually during boot it says:

=================================

[  OK  ] Started Show Plymouth Boot Screen.
[  OK  ] Reached target Paths.
[  OK  ] Started Forward Password Requests to Plymouth Directory Watch.

[  OK  ] Started /etc/rc.local Compatibility.
         Starting Hold until boot process finishes up...
         Starting Terminate Plymouth Boot Screen...

==================================

but it shows no splash.

thanks,

Matthias

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

mashah
Contributor I

What steps have you followed so far? Are you using Yocto to make a build?

0 Kudos

ashoknoone
Contributor I

Yes, I am using Yocto for build.

1. I have enabled plymouth (using CORE_IMAGE_INSTALL)

2. And added "quiet splash" in the u-boot bootargs ( which getting reflected in /proc/cmdline)

3.During boot-up i can see the plymouth started message, but there is no splash.

And I have also created initramfs image enabled with plymouth using PACKAGE_INSTALL, but struggling to intergerate and deploy.

0 Kudos

mashah
Contributor I

I had the same problem; kernel log would show plymouth launching but I didn't see anything on the display.

I fixed it by adding "quiet splash" to the boot arguments as per the arch-wiki

0 Kudos

ashoknoone
Contributor I

Hi Abbas,

Can you please help me by providing exact step that you have followed to make Plymouth working.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos

matthiasalbrech
Contributor III

Hi,

thanks for the hints. I am aible to create a initramfs image but I have some problems to boot from it. The system doesn't boot when I use my kernel commands (I use the commands dracut prints when I do "dracut --print-cmdline")

First I will read what you have sent and I will see if I can solve the problem by my own.

0 Kudos

xu_wenming
Contributor II

Hello Matthias Albrecht,

These two problems confuse me a lot too. Can you share something you did? 

Thanks,

Matthew

0 Kudos

matthiasalbrech
Contributor III

Hi Matthew,

I am sorry. I quitted that topic because of other, more important, tasks. Like I wrote its not done by just adding plymouth recipe to the image.

My problem was to create/integrate the initramfs-image. If I reopen that topic I will let you know.

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Matthias Albrecht,

Plymouth recipe is available on the Yocto BSP as part of the OpenEmebedded layer.

http://layers.openembedded.org/layerindex/recipe/39966/

I would recommend you looking at the Plymouth homepage:

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Plymouth/

There are a couple of resources there that may be of help. As you dragcut there are some commands and more information on the dragcut documentation:

https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/dracut/dracut.html#_dracut_8

I hope this helps,

Regards,

0 Kudos