cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx8mm temperature sensor calibration

antho
Contributor III

Hi all,
I can observe a 10°C dispersion on temperature measured from the chip sensor on different iMX boards.
(on imx8mm yocto image, using cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp)
Here, under same conditions on 2 different chips (chipmin and chipmax):
Tchipmin=58°
Tchipmax=69°
I can also read my chips' TE1 and TE2 temperature values stored in fuses (from the 25°C and 85°C NXP measurement during manufacturing process) :
TE1chipmin=50° TE2chipmin=112°
TE1chipmax=61° TE2chipmax=120°
They follow the same trend : some chips are cooler, some are hotter.
This feels to me like a sensor offset issue which (I hope) can be corrected by calibration.

I tried to follow the software calibration as explained in the RM 5.4.5 Temperature Sensor Error Correction Method. But I'm really lost and confused because of poor explanation and a lack of context :

- what are the conditions of TE1 (room temp) and TE2 (hot temp) measures ? What is CPU load, or power consumption, what is the kernel doing, which image is running ? and are the 2 measurements consistent (under same conditions) ?

- Can we simply apply a slope compensation on the sensor value in a different operating condition, as suggested ?
According to me the temperature error / difference between 2 chips is mainly due to 2 factors : different power consumption / heating (intrinsic, because the chip is physically different) and temp sensor precision. How can we isolate them ? Is it safe to consider it is only due to sensor calibration ?

- Let's try on my 2 chips, chipmin and chipmax samples :
TCALIBchipmin=(58-50)×(85-25)/(112-50)+25=32° ?
TCALIBchipmax=(69-61)×(85-25)/(120-61)+25=33° ?
What is TCALIB meaning ? OK now the values are closer but It's definitely not the chip temp !

- And by the way, what is this reference curve they are talking about ?

antho_0-1699459357097.png

We need more context

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
3 Replies

lucienlachance
Contributor I

Hi all,

Have you found any solutions?
I am experiencing a similar issue on two different devices with the same IMX8MM model running the same software.
Thanks in advance,

Lucien

0 Kudos

antho
Contributor III

Hi,
It's in the title I'm working on the IMX8MM.
How can you explain a 32°C chip temperature ? It seems surprisingly low !

(kernel is based on the linux-imx_5.4.70_2.3.0 NXP branch)

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

In which i.MX8 is present this situation because the MX8MM the presented scenario is ok, the MX8QX need SCFW porting please check:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/how-to-get-temperature-and-set-CPU-frequency-in-sc-fire...

Regards

0 Kudos