cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx8mm evk fails to boot with 4.9.123 image

sung
Contributor I

Hi,

I am trying to boot 8MMINILPD4-EVK with NXP's demo image. The latest one (L4.14.98_2.0.0_ga_images_MX8MMEVK.zip) works fine, but with a previously released image (L4.9.123_2.3.0-ga_images_mx8mm.zip), the kernel keeps resetting itself without any error or kernel crash in the boot log. Rocko release of Yocto and Linux kernel 4.9 are particularly relevant to our project so booting with this image is critical. The same issue exists when booting from either SD card or eMMC. 

Has anyone had a similar issue or found a solution to this? The attached pdf contains the full boot log.

0 Kudos
11 Replies

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Could you share with me the board revision you have?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Aldo.

0 Kudos

sung
Contributor I

When typec2_ptn5110 is disabled in the device tree (fsl-imx8mm-evk.dts), the board boots up. Can the issue be related to the timing around this PTN5110 USB Power Delivery IC?

0 Kudos

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Thanks for the information, indeed seems like if you disable the ptn5110, the 5V power can't input, so you board will  keep restarting.

Thank you,

Regards,

Aldo.

0 Kudos

sung
Contributor I

Hi Aldo,

Is there any news on this?

Best,

Samuel

0 Kudos

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Sorry I missed the last update, If you want to use the 4.9.123, you can use the REV B,  After the REV B, the REV C、C1、C2 have updated the Block Diagram and Power Tree, so you should use other image that is higher than 4.9.123.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Aldo.

0 Kudos

omkar_teli
Contributor I

hi aldo,

i am new to this and i have the same problem. I don't understood how we can solve this problem by changing revision? how to change the revision? how to get higher version than 4.9.123?

Previously it was working with 4.9.123 fine. Now resetting on power on. What are reasons for POR? 

How to debug this? 

0 Kudos

sung
Contributor I

Hi Aldo,

Ah I see. Thank you for the information! It is very helpful.

Best,

Samuel

0 Kudos

omkar_teli
Contributor I

Hi Samuel,

How do you solve the POR problem? I have the same issue.

0 Kudos

sung
Contributor I

Hi Omkar,

The easiest solution would be to use later images. They can be downloaded here: i.MX Software and Development Tools | NXPLinux 4.14.98_2.0.0 and Linux 4.19.35_1.1.0 contain Linux binary demo files for i.MX 8M Mini EVK.

As for me, I really needed to use the 4.9.123 version, so like I mentioned above I disabled typec2_ptn5110 in the device tree (i.e., change status to "disabled" here: fsl-imx8mm-evk.dts\freescale\dts\boot\arm64\arch - linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel) by applying a patch and created my own Linux image. Disabling the USB Power Delivery IC may disable essential features of the chip so please consider this a temporary workaround rather than a proper solution.

What sounds strange is the fact that your EVK previously worked fine with 4.9.123, which was not the case for me. This may mean that your problem is different and my suggestions may not apply to you, but I think it is still worth trying.

0 Kudos

sung
Contributor I

I actually meant the opposite. The board keeps restarting when ptn5110 is enabled and boots up when disabled, which is quite mysterious. 

0 Kudos

sung
Contributor I

Hi Aldo,

Sure, here it is.

SOM board: SCH-31399 REV C1

Base boardSCH-31407 REV C1 

Best,

Samuel

0 Kudos