Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx8 flashing of UUU causes the USB to reboot

Jump to solution
Ramprakash
Contributor II

Hi All,

I am trying to flash the iMX8QXP MEK board SPI memory with the SCU FW and U-Boot but when I try to use the command 

sudo uuu -v -b qspi flash_uboot.bin flash_scfw.bin

or the same command for prebuilt images downloaded from NXP website. I get the "Fail HID(W):LIBUSB_ERROR_IO" error. Also, on checking the dmesg when running the UUU commands I can see that the USB type C port connected to the J11 port of the board is continuously disconnecting and reconnecting continuously. Can anyone suggest a fix for this issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Ramprakash

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
0 Kudos
13 Replies
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Could you help me with the following questions:

Does this issue happen even if trying to flash another of the images in the prebuilt package?
i.e. flashing eMMC or SD card
Could you tell me if you're using a B0 or C0 chip?

Also, please share how you're creating the SPI image.

Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos
Ramprakash
Contributor II

Hi @AldoG ,

Thanks for the reply. I now figured out that the issue does not happen with the prebuilt demo image. I used "imx-boot-imx8qxpc0mek-sd.bin-flash". But when I try to use the image which I built using mkimage tool the issue still occurs. 

Thanks and Regards,

Ramprakash

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Thank you for checking, could you please share the steps you have follow to create your image using the mkimage?
Please note that if you have C0 chip you'll need to select this revision when building using mkimage.

Regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos
Ramprakash
Contributor II

Hi @AldoG ,

Thanks for the reply.

I did try the REV=C0 with mkimage tool. But when I use the REV = C0 the command which gets executed still shows B0. And the image fails to flash SPI memory.

But when I try to hardcode the REV=C0 into the soc.mak file under iMX8QX folder I get a error that the Rev = C0 is not known. Do you have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks and Regards,

Ramprakash

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

May I ask which mkimage version are you using?

Regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos
Ramprakash
Contributor II

Hi @AldoG ,

imx_5.4.70_2.3.0 - the latest branch.

Thanks and Regards,

Ramprakash

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

On my side I'm having different results, may I ask if you have downloaded the imx-mkimage form our git?
https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/imx-mkimage/tree/?h=imx_5.4.70_2.3.0

If not please try with these one, let me know if you see the same result.

Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos
Ramprakash
Contributor II

Hi @AldoG ,

I now got the mkimage from the latest branch and built the SCU port, SECO, ATF and Uboot from the latest branch as well. I am now able to boot the SPI flash memory. But I get the following screen after the boot process starts. I am not able to enter any commands after it.

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

From the log it looks correct, the boot process is not able to find a valid kernel since uboot was the only thing flashed, so it will switch to booting from net.

if you want to stop at uboot level, you'll need to stop the autoboot, this be typing any key in the serial console.

Regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos
Ramprakash
Contributor II

Hi @AldoG ,

I tried to stop the autoboot, it is not able to read any input from the keyboard.

I tried using minicom and screen but same result in both.

Thanks and Regards,

Ramprakash

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Sorry, didn't saw your last update, could you check that the cable you're using don't have any kind of damage?
Changing the cable would be a good idea as well.

Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos
Ramprakash
Contributor II

Hi @AldoG ,

Thanks for the update. I am able to use the command line interface of u-boot after booting from SPI flash memory. I am now trying to build linux image using yocto. Can you share any material on how to build the rootfs and device tree buffers?

Thanks and Regards,

Ramprakash

0 Kudos
AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Yes, please find Linux BSP documentation here:
https://www.nxp.com/design/software/embedded-software/i-mx-software/embedded-linux-for-i-mx-applicat...

L5.4.70_2.3.0 yocto guide
i.MX Yocto Project User’s Guide​

Best regards,
Aldo.

0 Kudos