Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx7ulpevk got stuck after u-boot

Jump to solution
kayiyeh
Contributor II

Hi, there

I tried to use an iMX7ULPEVK board, change it to some other DRAM vendor's DRAM, then boot up with Linux kernel.

The DRAM is a 4Gb LPDDR3 (512MB) , with 8 banks, 14 row addresses, 10 column address, x32 databus with 1 CS. I revised the register programming aid and got new registers settings, then use the DDR stress tool to test it and got DLL register settings. Then I put all the stuff together, including revise imximage.cfg and mx7ulp_evk.h, then bitbake core-image-minimal. The program enter u-boot perfectly, but suddenly, it goes to nowhere, and no more message come out from the COM port.

I have tried to stop the u-boot before it jumps to kernel, the u-boot works fine and see no sign of memory issue. 

Could anybody help me debug? 

p.s Attached is the boot log

Regards,

Ka-Yi Yeh

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ka-Yi

from log : "Cannot find fsl,optee-lpm-sram node in the device tree"

one can try to add ocram_optee with "fsl,optee-lpm-sram" as in

imx7d.dtsi\dts\boot\arm\arch - linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel 

Note, optee addresses should also be modified in tee_addr=0x64000000

in uboot mx7ulp_evk.h and dts files.

May be useful to check Linux Guide in Linux L4.14.98_2.0.0 Documentation

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kayiyeh
Contributor II

In fact, all one have to do in addition to use the ddr tress tool is to revise "mx7ulp_evk.h" and "imximage.cfg".  Once setting the right RAM size and corresponding register values, (including DLL, row/ column bits, ...) the next thing is make sure the bitbake will read the right file to make the image. 

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ka-Yi

from log : "Cannot find fsl,optee-lpm-sram node in the device tree"

one can try to add ocram_optee with "fsl,optee-lpm-sram" as in

imx7d.dtsi\dts\boot\arm\arch - linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel 

Note, optee addresses should also be modified in tee_addr=0x64000000

in uboot mx7ulp_evk.h and dts files.

May be useful to check Linux Guide in Linux L4.14.98_2.0.0 Documentation

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
kayiyeh
Contributor II

Dear Igor

I have checked my environment and compare with another board with original DRAM, I found the tee_addr was correctly set, and the message “

Cannot find fsl,optee-lpm-sram node in the device tree”

also showed in the original DRAM board but it can boot Linux without problem.

So I think your suggest was not the root cause. Thank you but please help consider other cause.

Regards

從我的 iPhone 傳送

igorpadykov <admin@community.nxp.com<mailto:admin@community.nxp.com>> 於 2019年8月30日 下午1:42 寫道:

NXP Community <https://community.freescale.com/resources/statics/1000/35400-NXP-Community-Email-banner-600x75.jpg>

Re: imx7ulpevk got stuck after u-boot

reply from igorpadykov<https://community.nxp.com/people/igorpadykov?et=watches.email.thread> in i.MX Processors - View the full discussion<https://community.nxp.com/message/1199078?commentID=1199078&et=watches.email.thread#comment-1199078>

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ka-Yi

is ddr size of custom board is the same as "another board with original DRAM",

if not, optee addresses should be changed.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
kayiyeh
Contributor II

Dear Igor,

Thank you very much. I think you are right. As a matter of fact, I built an image that used only 512MB memory for the “original” imx7ulpevk board, which has 1GB DRAM on board. So I didn’t need to change any loading address and it still works. However, when I change to my custom board, the DRAM on board is only 512MB, so the uboot can run but the Linux zImage was loaded to nowhere. However, in this case, what’s the corresponding addresses (say ftd_addr, tee_addr, initrd_addr, ….) I should change? Please advise or refer document for me. I think I am at the last mile and please help.

Regards,

Ka-Yi Yeh

0 Kudos