表示  限定  | 次の代わりに検索 
もしかして: 

imx7ulpevk 2GB ram linux u-boot

ソリューションへジャンプ
3,367件の閲覧回数
meb99
Contributor III

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to update my u-boot to support 2GB of memory. Right now I can't even figure out what documentation to look through to find this. I have read through all the documentation on the documentation provided for the bsp as well as about a dozen related threads on this community. The following is what I have tried

First I am using fsl-yocto-L4.9.123_2.3.0 as that seems to be the latest build that the evk supports and it appears to work. https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/supporting-information/fsl-yocto-L4.9.123_2.3.0_mx8mm.zip

Per this thread https://community.nxp.com/t5/Layerscape/DDR-shows-1GB-instead-of-4GB-ls1021a/m-p/986048

it looks like I need to change PHYS_SDRAM_SIZE  from 1gb to 2 gb.  The first question. The relevant file is in two locations

./tmp/work/x86_64-linux/qemu-native/2.10.0-r0/qemu-2.10.0/roms/u-boot/include/configs/mx7ulp_evk.h
./tmp/work/imx7ulpevk-poky-linux-gnueabi/u-boot-imx/2017.03-r0/git/include/configs/mx7ulp_evk.h

Does it need to be changed in both locations? How do I determine what is the correct one? Besides changing SZ_1G to SZ_2G are there any other config changes on the evk board?

Next if I change source code in the tmp directory I know that "-c compile -f"  is supposed to pick it up, but it doesn't, no new image is generated. in fact -c cleanall  won't clean anything, my changes are still there. In all of these cases it just reports that nearly nothing needed to be rebuilt. Any ideas on how I can pick up changes in the tmp/work directory until I am ready to make a patch?

How can I determine what layer/package/recipe the mx7ulp_evk.h comes from so I can try to write a patch? I can't seem to find detailed documentation on the BSP?

Also I see that there are some u-boot config files https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/uboot-imx/tree/board/freescale/mx7ulp_evk?h=imx_v2018.03_... that seem to be part of what needs to be changed to update the dram settings I see from this thread here https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX7ULP-Register-Programming-Aids/ta-p/... that there are ddr register programming aids, but I am not sure how to integrate those settings into my linux bsp?

I know this is a lot but any help on any of these would be extremely helpful

ラベル(3)
タグ(1)
0 件の賞賛
1 解決策
3,282件の閲覧回数
meb99
Contributor III

ok so are you confirming that this chip cannot support 2GB of ddr address space? page 590 section 22.5.4.2.2 of the pdf you referenced says

"If the DDR memory space allocation is 2 Gbytes, there are three options for configuringthe chip select partition:MDASP[CS0_END] to 001_1111 (1 Gbyte),MDASP[CS0_END] to 011_1111 (2 Gbytes), and MDASP[CS0_END] to 101_1111(3 Gbytes)."

If so I will assume the section I found is incorrect/typo and will mark this as solved.

元の投稿で解決策を見る

0 件の賞賛
11 返答(返信)
3,358件の閲覧回数
meb99
Contributor III

Thank you for the reply. This will take me a bit to go through in detail and try out. on a side note for other people in the future, in order to patch the u-boot-imx the normal dev tool instructions don't work sense there is some other logic going on. I will paste what I did here just to help others
devtool modify u-boot-imx

#this creates the source you can modify in build/workspace/sources/u-boot-imx. you can't test it out before making the patch because the logic is broken. so then you need to commit the changes (it is a git repo under the hood) from the recipe directory

cd build/workspace/sources/u-boot-imx
git commit .

Then you need to create your own layer to save the patch in with at least one active recipe. for me it was sources/meta-mychanges/mychange. Not including here how to do that. Next you need to create the patch:

devtool update-recipe -a <layerpath> <recipename>
or
devtool update-recipe -a sources/meta-mychanges u-boot-imx

you should see the new files in your "mychange" recipe. then you need to clear the working directory of your modified u boot and finish
devtool reset u-boot-imx

now you need to clean the source of your bitbake target for it to work. For me it required a lot of falgs before it started working
bitbake -c cleanall -f -c compile -f -c fetchall -f -C compile fsl-image-validation-imx
now you can finally run
bitbake fsl-image-validation-imx

and if you look in your tmp/work directory the source should have the changes, and you should also be able to find your patch file too. You can now easily go into your own layer and deactivate it and it will return to normal

0 件の賞賛
3,361件の閲覧回数
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi meb99

except change PHYS_SDRAM_SIZE in u-boot/include/configs/mx7ulp_evk.h

for new ddr recommended to use RPA tool and run ddr test :

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX7ULP-Register-Programming-Aids/ta-p/...

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX-6-7-DDR-Stress-Test-Tool/ta-p/11082...

then update uboot dcd header with new ddr calibration settings found from ddr test

https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/uboot-imx/tree/board/freescale/mx7ulp_evk?h=imx_v2020.04_...

Build steps can be found in Yocto Guide from below link

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/embedded-software/i-mx-software/embedded-linux-for-i-mx-applicat...

also it shows in column "Supported Platforms" latest supported linux release for each processor.

Best regards
igor

3,340件の閲覧回数
meb99
Contributor III

ok I have gone through all of this in great detail to make it work. currently when I try to boot it just freezes at DRAM

U-Boot 2017.03-imx_v2017.03_4.9.88_2.0.0_ga+gb76bb1bf9f (Dec 18 2020 - 19:53:16 -0800)

CPU: Freescale i.MX7ULP rev2.0 at 500 MHz
Reset cause: POR
Boot mode: Dual boot
Model: NXP i.MX7ULP EVK
DRAM:

when I did the stress test calibration I got values that were fairly close to default 

Read calibration
MPRDDLCTL PHY0 (0x40ab0848) = 0x383A343A
Write calibration
MPWRDLCTL PHY0 (0x40ab0850) = 0x32323432

The total things i changed to the u-boot-img recipe were:

mx7ulp_evk.h 

#define PHYS_SDRAM_SIZE SZ_2G

and in  imximage.cfg the following register values were updated

40AB0800 : A1310000 -> A1390003
40AB085C : 0D3900A0 -> 1B39009F
40AB0890 : 00400000 -> 00480000
40AB0848 : 40404040 -> 383A343A
40AB0850 : 40404040 -> 32323432
40AB0004 : 00020052 -> 00020012
40AB0010 : 00100A22 -> B6AD0B22
40AB0038 : 00120556 -> 00130556
40AB083C : 20000000 -> A0000000
40AB0404 : 00011006 -> 00010106

These were based on the Register programming aid (and the two that were from the calibrations)

There were no other changes I could see that needed to be done based on the four links you provided. That being said I could not get the stress test to run, it just sat there at the first frequency.

DDR Stress Test Iteration 1
DDR Freq: 297 MHz
t0.1: data is addr test

I left it there for 6 hour one time just to be sure. But the calibration worked fine, and I am using the eval board so I knew the MHZ were at 320.

Also every time I download any script to the stress test tool it always starts saying

" DDR configuration
DDR type is LPDDR3 in 1-channel mode.
Data width: 32, bank num: 8
Row size: 14, col size: 10
Both chip select CSD0 and CSD1 are used
Density per chip select: 512MB
Density per channel: 1024MB "

no matter what the drop down menu settings are. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. 

0 件の賞賛
3,314件の閲覧回数
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

>That being said I could not get the stress test to run, it just sat there at the first frequency.

so seems custom board can not pass ddr test, that means memory is not working.

Reason may be hardware and software (configuration).

Hardware may be checked with Hardware Development Guide for the i.MX 7ULP Applications Processor

What ddr part used in the case LPDDR2 or LPDDR3, is it the same as on i.MX7ULP EVK.

Also please clarify what board used in the case : custom or EVK ?

Best regards
igor

0 件の賞賛
3,308件の閲覧回数
meb99
Contributor III

This IS the EVK demo board (imx7ulpevk). I was trying to run the stress test on that. (This is also the board I am trying to configure for 2GB of memory, sense the memory chip that comes on the board is 8GB. 

The memory should be fine, I have compiled and ran many different images on it, and everything seems to work great. The calibration seems to work fine when I set it to the 320MHZ it is supposed to run at.

I assumed there would be some documentation for how to reconfigure the demo board for 2GB.

0 件の賞賛
3,305件の閲覧回数
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

if this is NXP i.MX7ULP EVK reference board, it has only 1GB LPDDR3 memory as described

in documentation, for example p.8 schematic  spf-29163

MX7ULP  EVK  p.8.jpg

MCIMX7ULP-EVK Design Files

https://www.nxp.com/design/development-boards/i-mx-evaluation-and-development-boards/evaluation-kit-...

Best regards
igor

0 件の賞賛
3,298件の閲覧回数
meb99
Contributor III

That schematic has that you shared has "NT6CL256T32CQ-H1" which is a 4GB LDDR3 module. I attached the datasheet for it. Not only that if you look at the bottom right it has the "AC11" -> DDR_ZQ1 for "2GB LDDR3". I might be missing something, but as far as i can tell this should have all the wiring to configure it for 2GB. 

On a side note every single Application Board here has only 1GB of memory. 

https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-processors/i-mx-applications-proces...

I know that section 22.5.4.2.2 of the application processor reference manual goes through configuration settings for 2GB of memory with 1 GB per chip select which the included memory module has. I admittedly have not gone through that as I was hoping the the Aide you referenced would provide those. 

Any detail on why what exactly there is a 1GB limitation on the board would be helpful! thank you

0 件の賞賛
3,288件の閲覧回数
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

>Any detail on why what exactly there is a 1GB limitation on the board would be helpful

Table 19-1. System memory map Reference Manual describes "DDR (1024 MB)" as available capacity.

i.MX7ULPRMB2: i.MX 7ULP Applications Processor Reference Manual for Silicon Revision B2

Best regards
igor

0 件の賞賛
3,283件の閲覧回数
meb99
Contributor III

ok so are you confirming that this chip cannot support 2GB of ddr address space? page 590 section 22.5.4.2.2 of the pdf you referenced says

"If the DDR memory space allocation is 2 Gbytes, there are three options for configuringthe chip select partition:MDASP[CS0_END] to 001_1111 (1 Gbyte),MDASP[CS0_END] to 011_1111 (2 Gbytes), and MDASP[CS0_END] to 101_1111(3 Gbytes)."

If so I will assume the section I found is incorrect/typo and will mark this as solved.

0 件の賞賛
3,243件の閲覧回数
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi meb99

yes it is confirmed, correct is Table 19-1. System memory map Reference Manual :

"DDR (1024 MB)" as available capacity.

Best regards
igor

0 件の賞賛
1,947件の閲覧回数
djones7777
Contributor I

Does this apply to all iMX7ULP boards or just the EVK? We have a custom iMX7ULP based off the EVK and are wondering if we can use 2GB of RAM or if the same limitation exists.

0 件の賞賛