imx7d Yocto - Rocko - U-Boot ( nand ) appears stuck in factory boot mode even with boot bits set

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx7d Yocto - Rocko - U-Boot ( nand ) appears stuck in factory boot mode even with boot bits set

Jump to solution
edwardtyrrell
Senior Contributor I

Hi All,

After bitbake fsl-image-mfgtool-initramfs and plugging all the bits in to the mfg-tool downloader, u-boot never runs out of nand on my board. I have the usual UBOOT_CONFIG = "nand" in my local.conf and the mfg-tool builds OK. Flick the factory switch, press start, see all the UTP stuff flash past, mounts my board as a drive, flashes uboot, rootfs and kernel then finally sets the boot and other bits. Flick the switch back to run nothing. 

If I substitute uboot for one I built based on an imx7s ( warp7 with modified dtb ) it boots fine and runs although a bit clunky. The issue is NOT anything to do with the mfgtool flashing side as I know this very well, it's the actual uboot that's the problem when running the board normally with the factory switch in the correct position. 

There's not a single bit of debug that comes out of uboot at run time. What is very suspicious is that using the uboot that comes with the Yocto build I get my board coming up as an HID-compliant vendor-defined device as you would expect if the manufacturing switch was flicked! As mentioned before, keeping all the XML mgftool file the same, swapping out uboot for a imx7's one the board boots fine. I need the the correct uboot for the board however... 

Freescale's Community Yocto BSP

Kernel 4.9.88 - Rocko

Thanks.   

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
edwardtyrrell
Senior Contributor I

Hi Igor,

Solved! Turns out is was my imximage.cfg file.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Edward

for i.MX7D one can try nxp official uboot from source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/uboot-imx:

uboot/include/configs/mx7dsabresd.h

mx7dsabresd.h\configs\include - uboot-imx - i.MX U-Boot 

linux documentation

i.MX Software | NXP 

some third party uboot patches

[U-Boot] [PATCH v2 9/9] colibri_imx7: add Colibri iMX7S/iMX7D module support 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
edwardtyrrell
Senior Contributor I

Hi Igor,

Does the imx7d have bootlets like the imx23? Even after adding debug code into board_early_init_f() I still get absolutely nothing from uboot. 

I have PERI-3V15 on my FT2232 and associated buffer.

I can confirm the rest of the build ie. kernel, dtb is fine, when ran from mfg-tool by using a imx7s uboot ( only as test ). Normally I use dd once a working uboot's in place hence why I need mfg-tool working, and for the product once it's in production of course.

There are subtle changes on our board from the sabre example, an AR8031, no spi shift register for various lines etc, but none of these should stop a simple uboot uart message from appearing at boot-up. 

Could it be my uboot is missing the bootlets? 

My build is based of this document: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/i.MX_Yocto_Project_User  

Thank you.

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Edward

no, imx7d have not bootlets like the imx23.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos
edwardtyrrell
Senior Contributor I

Hi Igor,

Solved! Turns out is was my imximage.cfg file.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
edwardtyrrell
Senior Contributor I

Thanks Igor,

Turns out the board is actually running emmc. Looking the the imx7dsabresd.c/.h files there's no provision for usdhc3/emmc hence why it doesn't work. What's the best way to change uboot to suit emmc? 

0 Kudos