cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx6ull-14x14-evk access to more than 512MB DRAM

Jump to solution
BillJ
Contributor I

Hi, my apologies if this should be obvious to me, but I am working with an imx6ull EVK board that is supposed to have a 4GB DRAM chip according to the datasheet for it. When I boot it up with the micro SD card provided, both u-boot and the linux kernel only report 512MB of RAM. What am I missing in order for linux to have access to more than the 512MB of RAM?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
turker
Contributor IV

I do not think that the i.MX6ULL EVK from NXP has 4GB RAM. It is probably 4Gbit which is 512MB. You can search for the part number of the memory chip on the carrier module to make sure.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
turker
Contributor IV

I do not think that the i.MX6ULL EVK from NXP has 4GB RAM. It is probably 4Gbit which is 512MB. You can search for the part number of the memory chip on the carrier module to make sure.

0 Kudos
BillJ
Contributor I

Hi Turker, thank you for your response. The EVK data sheet link reads "4GB" but it appears that you are correct that the SDRAM part is "4Gb" in size which, as you say, is 512MB. I appreciate you pointing that out. 

0 Kudos
BillJ
Contributor I

Hi Igor,

Thank you for the response. I went ahead and created a patch and an associated bbappend file using the meta-fsl-bsp-release layer and confirmed that the u-boot source file (mx6ullevk.h) was patched so that PHYS_SDRAM_SIZE was set to SZ_1G, but I still get the same result. Also, even before attempting the patch, I see a CRC error message from the u-boot start process so I am not sure where the problem lies at the moment. These are the u-boot messages I see:

U-Boot 2017.03-imx_v2017.03_4.9.88_2.0.0_ga+gb76bb1bf9f (Mar 03 2021 - 17:59:47 -0800)
CPU: Freescale i.MX6ULL rev1.1 at 396MHz
CPU: Commercial temperature grade (0C to 95C) at 32C
Reset cause: POR
Model: Freescale i.MX6 ULL 14x14 EVK Board
Board: MX6ULL 14x14 EVK
DRAM: 512 MiB
MMC: FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 1
*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi BillJ

one can look at uboot #define PHYS_SDRAM_SIZE :

https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/uboot-imx/tree/include/configs/mx6ullevk.h?h=imx_v2020.04...

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos