Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx6sx custom board configuration with imx pin mux tool

Jump to solution
msarwar
Contributor III

Hi there,

I'm developing a custom board based around the imx6sx and I've used the Pins for i.MX tool Version 4 to describe the pinout. It's quite different from the sdb dev board because there are some different devices, gpios being used, memory setup and and so on.

Anyway, generating code from the Pin Tool gives a series of files: exported_registers.h, fsl_bitaccess.h, imx6sx-board.dtsi, imx6sx_registers.h, pin_mux.c and pin_mux.h.

However, if I am following the BSP porting guide, are those files needed ? Because the porting guide doesn't mention any of those files.

My approach so far has been to follow the BSP Porting guide and I can get a u-boot image with my custom DDR settings and calibration but when I flash it over to the device nothing happens in u boot, I don't get a console ( I changed the early_board_init_f to use UART2 which is we what want to use for our custom console uart). I used the dtsi generated by the Pin Mux tool, it seems quite different from the imx6sx dtsi though, so should I instead edit the imx6sx dtsi instead of including the Pin Mux Tool dtsi ?

I'm missing something but I'm not sure what. I don't know whether i should include the Pin Tool files or not; i thought just changing the pads, for example the uart pads, on the copy of the im6sx_sdb files I got following the Porting Guide and including the dtsi was enough. Is this approach wrong ?

Thanks

Mahtab

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mahtab

uboot, linux have all necessary header files so seems no need to include pin tool files.

One can just change the pad configuration (for example uart pads in the case) and modify dts

file.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mahtab

uboot, linux have all necessary header files so seems no need to include pin tool files.

One can just change the pad configuration (for example uart pads in the case) and modify dts

file.

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
msarwar
Contributor III

Thanks Igor, I followed the Porting Guide strategy and got a working image, as you said by changing the pad configurations.

I have a couple of further questions if possible:

Loading u-boot onto an sd card, usually it's by the command dd if=u-boot-imx of=/dev/sdx bs=512 seek=2, i.e. write the uboot image to 1024th byte of sd card, but with this command the processor doesn't find my image..with mfg tool I can use my image without problems. So is there some other place or offset that the u-boot image can be written to on an sdcard, are there some dependencies where to put it ? 

Secondly, how to configure the size of the DDR ram ? I have done the ddr calibration and got the values of delays and levelling etc., but where in the u-boot is the ddr size set, and is it set in hex ?

0 Kudos
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Mahtab

for ddr size settings one can look in uboot/include/configs/mx6sabresd.h

#define PHYS_SDRAM_SIZE   ..

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos