cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx6 dual lite vpu encoding support question

dannypickford
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm looking for a little assistance - basically I wanted to check that the Wandboard dual lite support for H264 VPU encoding is supported by Freescale as I'm running into quite a few issues with some simple test cases.  Secondarily, if the VPU encoding is supported any pointers on what could be going wrong or any additional troubleshooting steps would be appreciated.

Test scenario:

I've been testing the wandcam (OV5460 mipi interface) with the freescale gstreamer plugins on the freescale-next yocto "daisy" build (3.10 kernel).  

I've been using the VPU-based video encoder and have been encapsulating it with RTP in order to stream it over the network.

gst-launch --gst-debug-level=2 mfw_v4lsrc fps-n=30 capture-mode=0 ! vpuenc codec=6 ! queue ! rtph264pay ! udpsink host=10.0.0.4 port=5000 -v

However I'm running into issues with the H264 encoding function and any resolution higher than the default 640x480 resolution (capture mode 1 & higher), essentially all the video is corrupted for any resolution but the capture 0 mode.

Secondarily, I tested capturing from the camera to a file, and I'm seeing some issues here as well.   In this case video capture works decently well, although I'm seeing intermittent pauses on the higher resolutions (cpu load drops to zero, unsurprisingly video capture stops, and then it kicks back on again).

gst-launch --gst-debug-level=2 mfw_v4lsrc fps-n=30 capture-mode=5 ! queue ! vpuenc codec=6 ! matroskamux ! filesink location=output5.mkv sync=false

Capture modes 2 & 4 bomb out in a short period of time, but the image being captured is uncorrupted at least.

This indicates that the VPU video encoding is working, but it seems somewhat unstable.   CPU load on the box is impressively low (<15% at full resolution, <3% on the lower resolutions) when the video capture is working however.

Thanks,

Danny Pickford.

Labels (5)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes, the i.MX6 Dual Lite from the Hardware perspective has a  Video Processing Unit (VPU)  that supports H.264  but I think the problem here is to review in the documentation of the BSP if the CODEC it is supported, which it is from Wandboard, and it is not FSL BSP.

Have a great day,
Jaime

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

dannypickford
Contributor I

This specific  build is using the meta-fsl-arm bsp (Freescale/meta-fsl-arm · GitHub), which includes a couple of hardware specific modifications in the meta-fsl-arm-extra to support the wandboard.  This should be the "official" freescale build for the iMX6 correct?   It is using the freescale provided gstreamer plugins and drivers for the mipi camera and vpu etc.

0 Kudos