imx6 ddr fly-by topology

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx6 ddr fly-by topology

priyaprasad
Contributor I

In the hardware design guidelines of IMX6Q it is mentioned that Add/CMD/CTL has to be length matched with clock signals. IMX6 DDR controller is having 2 clocks (Dram_sdclk0, Dram_sdclk1)each is given to two DDR's. We are facing a problem of length matching the clock's(Dram_sdclk0, Dram_sdclk1) to Address and command and control signals as we are routing ddr signal in fly by topology . So, we are using only one Dram_sdclk0 signal for all the four DDR's and terminating the second clock at the processor. Please suggest any changes required and recommendation about ddr address signal maximum  possible length and about matching specific to fly by topology.

Regards

Priya

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

According to the i.MX6 Design Checklist, it is suggested to use "T" topology
when the number of DDR3 chips are not more than four.  Otherwise "Fly-by"
topology is recommended, since it allows to decrease timing / trace length
requirements, but  additional calibration procedures must be performed.

Please use

i.MX6/7 DDR Stress Test Tool V2.60 

Freescale i.MX6 DRAM Port Application Guide-DDR3 

Have a great day,

Yuri

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer

button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

priyaprasad
Contributor I

We have routed DDR3 address and command lines as per fly by topology in our design . Do we need to make any changes in u-boot and OS files due to this modification, or the same file used for same size DDR3 board but with T - topology can be used. 

Thanks

Regards

Priya

0 Kudos

weivivien
Contributor I

hello, our team also design four DDR3 chips with fly-by topology, we are confused about can we use two clk each for two DDR(just like reference design ). so we wondering can we use one clock for four DDR chips. did your board running properly?

we are hoping for you reply!

vivien

0 Kudos

priyaprasad
Contributor I

Hi vivien

We have used only one clock for four DDR chips in fly by topology and our board is running fine. Only thing we had to do DDR calibration.

0 Kudos