cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx6 board bringup

srinivasaporam
Contributor II

Hi,

We have got a custom designed i.mx6 board which we are powering on for the first time.

We are following yocto training document (Yocto Training - HOME -https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-94849) to get the board boot from SD card.

We have deployed sd card image to sd card and put the card into the slot available on the board, then powering on( we have connected board to monitor through HDMI). But nothing is displayed on the monitor and monitor is going to sleep.

We have the following queries and we think those may be the problems due to which we are not getting any display:

1. in the task#2 of yocto training, we should edit the machine name based on our board. if our board is custom made board which soc (MC IMX6D5EYM10AC SB FT1440)  and we followed both wand and sabrelite reference designs. then how to add custom designed board configuration and how create dtb file and add it to build.

this yocto training ihasn't specifying any thing on custom designed boards, dtb and adding it to build.

2. in the task#4, it is mentioned that we can deploy either .sdcard (sd card image) or .tar.bz file or rootfs file or only the uboot file.

we have tried with all the options, still then nothing is coming in display.

and also, it is specified that we need to change the environment variables for uboot (which in out case is u-boot-imx6qsabresd-v2013.10-r0.imx). it is nowhere specified that how we can set environment variables for u-boot file.

We are new to i.mx6 processors and yocto training and u-boot). Please help us in sorting out the problems and get the display from the board.

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please check boot options on Your boards, if SD boot is selected.

Perhasp, at first, it makes sense to try the demo image

fsl-image-qt5-x11-imx6qdlsolo.sdcard

from the recent BSP (L3.14.28)

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L3.14.28_1.0.0_iMX6QDLS_BUNDLE

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=IMX6_SW

$ sudo dd if= fsl-image-qt5-x11-imx6qdlsolo.sdcard of=/dev/sdb1 bs=1M

Please try using Freescale BSP, as described in “Freescale_Yocto_Project_User's_Guide.pdf”

in documentation package.

Useful information may be found at

“i.MX Yocto Project: Frequently Asked Questions”

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-94023

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

srinivasaporam
Contributor II

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I tried with the demo image also, but no success. I have following queries:

1. Since I have already told you, our board is the customized board, where we are concentrating on the pin configurations (from software point of view)

2. Before installing all the drivers in the board ( like spi, i2c, uart). how the hdmi display will come

3. is there any way that i can change or install OS or drivers through USB. since my host PC (Ubuntu 14.04) is able to detect my board when connect it through usb and issue the command: $lsusb it gives the following output:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:58c2 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0cf3:0036 Atheros Communications, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 034: ID 15a2:0054 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. i.MX6Q SystemOnChip in RecoveryMode

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 046d:c077 Logitech, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

0 Kudos

XiaoPong
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

According to your saying, you can set all drivers as module, then reboot system. HDMI should work at this moment based on item 2. If not, nothing relates to driver. Next, do insmod one by one to find out murder.

0 Kudos

srinivasaporam
Contributor II

Hi,

i haven't installed OS or uboot into imx6 board. this is the fresh board which came after assembly. when i connect the board to usb port of my host pc (ubuntu 14.04) and run the lsusb command then i could able to see the following output:

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:58c2 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 0cf3:0036 Atheros Communications, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 034: ID 15a2:0054 Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. i.MX6Q SystemOnChip in RecoveryMode

Bus 001 Device 008: ID 046d:c077 Logitech, Inc.

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:8000 Intel Corp.

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I would like to port OS to this new imx6 board. i have tried Yocto training material to deploy image to sd card and boot through SD card, but nothing is displayed on the monitor(monitor is connected to imx6 board through HDMI).

may be iam missing some steps.. i dont know.

that's why iam asking is there any way to port OS to imx6 board through usb, since it is being detected.

0 Kudos

XiaoPong
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You can use MFGtools in Windows or dd command in Linux to download binaries into SD card.

However, since your board is just assembled, suggest run DDR stress test making sure your DDR runs fine at working speed before do anything else.

0 Kudos

XiaoPong
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

If having question on porting software onto your customized board, locate i.MX6 BSP Porting Guide and follow each chapter carefully to create your own image.

The i.MX6 BSP Porting Guide is inside L3.14.28_1.0.0_LINUX_DOCS, which is downloadable from i.MX6Q|i.MX 6Quad Processors|Quad Core|Freescale

FYI.

0 Kudos

XiaoPong
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

More, you need also check bootargs in uboot script for HDMI output. Find details on Table 11, the i.MX_Linux_Release_Notes.pdf

Note: Rome is not built in one day. Usually, we need calm down, study manuals and debug code.

Good Luck to you!

0 Kudos

srinivasaporam
Contributor II

Hi,

Thanks for your reply... reply is very helpful and encouraging since we are continuously trying to get some output on monitor which is connected through HDMI. copying binaries (uboot) to SD card through dd command in linux and then booting the board with sd card inserted will automatically make the hdmi to function???

we are very new to the uboot??? how can i change bootargs in uboot script??? i think if we goto the location fsl-community-bsp/build/tmp/deploy/images/imx6sabresd/

then the uboot file is u-boot-imx6qsabresd-v2013.10-r0.imx . how to change/ edit boot args or set environment variables.

0 Kudos

XiaoPong
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, Srinivasa,

You can find it out in the i.MX_6_SABRE-SD_Linux_User's_Guide by searching keyword: setenv.

0 Kudos