imx233 keeps rebooting while initializing power.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imx233 keeps rebooting while initializing power.

Jump to solution
pierreparent
Contributor III

I'm working on my own imx233 board and I get unexpexted boot problem. Using bootlets the board keeps rebooting just after voltage measurement.

I double checked every power pin, and the inductor.(Since I did not intend to use battery I did not put any capacitor connected to DCDC_Batt and Batt, could this be a problem?)

I tried with u-boot, and it also crash after "HTLC", but does not reboot after. The voltage are then stable 5V, 4.2V, 2.5V are ok, but 3.3 VDDA VDDD are down to zero.

Would you have a hint on where to look for ?

Thanks in advance.

PowerPrep start initialize power...

Battery Voltage = 0.88V

No battery or bad battery                    detected!!!.Disabling battery                    voltage meas�HTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFC

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

No battery or bad battery                    detected!!!.Disabling battery                    voltage meas�HTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFC

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.91V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Battery Voltage = 1.90V

Labels (2)
1 Solution
jaydcarlson
Contributor III

Yes, you can definitely have too much capacitance. For example, Freescale advises if you have more than  (I think) 10 uF on the DDR supply line, it can prevent the DDR memory voltage from hitting the 2.5V target fast enough, which will prevent the system from booting properly. If your voltages aren't at the proper levels, you've got serious problems with your layout.

The 0x8020a023 code indicates you probably don't have the correct power supply decoupling on your MicroSD card, or your power supply is too noisy, or your traces are too long or routed incorrectly.

You may want to stop re-working your current board and try fixing all the problems you've identified at this point. You're building a 454 MHz Linux system with DDR memory and a 96 MHz SD card interface. You won't be able to hang wires off your board and do the sort of rework techniques you would with an embedded microcontroller.

Redesigning your board would also give you a chance to post your layout info to get feedback from the community. I would be more than happy to have a look at your design and spot any "red flags" that might prevent it from booting. It's a safe bet that you'll have to adjust your DDR memory routing -- please don't take offense to this comment, but if you're enough of a novice that you weren't able to get your decoupling capacitors where they need to be, I highly doubt you were able to route the DDR memory bus properly. It's much more challenging than the power supply.

Food for thought.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
42 Replies
pierreparent
Contributor III

@Jay Carlson

Could you please confirm that you have a board running with this design (no capacitor on battery and two pins separated). What software are your running? What output do you get?

Thanks in advance!

Pierre.

0 Kudos
jaydcarlson
Contributor III

I'm running Yocto and it works fine with the pins disconnected and no capacitor. I get the correct DC output voltages. The location of the caps on the board can definitely have an impact. Do you have a picture of your board layout? What's your stackup?

Your bootup screen looks a lot different from mine -- I assume you're not using u-boot-fslc in the Yocto distribution? That's the only thing I'm familiar with. Perhaps it's your boot code?

0 Kudos
pierreparent
Contributor III

Thanks again for your help.

I don't think a picture could be helpful because I've done a lot of "Hand editing" on my board.

The output I give are the one of bootlets. I also try with U-boot but it only outputs "HTLC" which is less explicit. See here for "normal" output: IMX233 Olinuxino Micro - .[ZooBaB]. I think U-boot initilisation of imx 233 is based on the same code that bootlets, but the output is a lot more quiet.

Though I have a good news. Since VDDD is at 1.5V and the capacitors are kind of far from the imx on my board. I added for a try a 10 uF (on top of the capacitors in the spec) on VDDD as close as I could form the IMX. And it improved the situation. Now u-boot gives "HTLCLC" and the boolets give:

HTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFC

Battery Voltage = 3.13V

Chargeable battery detected but                                 the voltage is too low

for battery                                     powered operation.Booting from 5V                     

power source.

LLCMar  6 201422:28:49

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

init_ddr_mt46v32m16_133Mhz

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

hbus 0x00000003

cpu 0x00010001

LLLLLLLFCL0x8020a023

Battery Voltage = 0.30V

No battery or bad battery                                       detected!!!.Disabling

battery                                 voltage measurements./r/nLLCMar  6 201422:28:49

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

Battery Voltage = 3.08V

Chargeable battery detected but                                 the voltage is too low

for battery                                     powered operation.Booting from 5V                     

power source.

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

hbus 0x00000003

cpu 0x00010001

LLLLLLLFCL0x8020a023

So close! the next thing would be "JUncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel.". I will try to add further capacitors to see if I can get it running that way.

One last question: Do you think that if I add too many capacitors, it can also prevent the board from running? Or can I add them withour carring?

Also I notice that it reboots when it goes "no battery or bad batter", u-boot is doing similar thing I often get "HTLCHTLCLC" which means it rebooted once before continuing. I wonder if you get the same thing on your board.

0 Kudos
jaydcarlson
Contributor III

Yes, you can definitely have too much capacitance. For example, Freescale advises if you have more than  (I think) 10 uF on the DDR supply line, it can prevent the DDR memory voltage from hitting the 2.5V target fast enough, which will prevent the system from booting properly. If your voltages aren't at the proper levels, you've got serious problems with your layout.

The 0x8020a023 code indicates you probably don't have the correct power supply decoupling on your MicroSD card, or your power supply is too noisy, or your traces are too long or routed incorrectly.

You may want to stop re-working your current board and try fixing all the problems you've identified at this point. You're building a 454 MHz Linux system with DDR memory and a 96 MHz SD card interface. You won't be able to hang wires off your board and do the sort of rework techniques you would with an embedded microcontroller.

Redesigning your board would also give you a chance to post your layout info to get feedback from the community. I would be more than happy to have a look at your design and spot any "red flags" that might prevent it from booting. It's a safe bet that you'll have to adjust your DDR memory routing -- please don't take offense to this comment, but if you're enough of a novice that you weren't able to get your decoupling capacitors where they need to be, I highly doubt you were able to route the DDR memory bus properly. It's much more challenging than the power supply.

Food for thought.

0 Kudos
pierreparent
Contributor III

Of course I do plan to redesign the board, i've already done many modifications to my designs.I was plannig to send a  new board to production in the following days. I will post a picture when i'm done editing my design.

And yes I do not hide being a novice for this kind of electronics. And this board for now is more of a learning and test board than anything else.

0 Kudos
MarekVasut
Senior Contributor I

Apply:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/331587/

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/331586/

Enable CONFIG_SPL_SERIAL_SUPPORT and then you can track what the U-Boot SPL does via regular printf()s . A nice thing is printf("%s[%i]\n", __func__, __LINE__); for example.

0 Kudos
pierreparent
Contributor III

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. Indeed I connected BATT with DCDC_BATT. Unfortunatly the trace is under the imx.

I'm not sure to follow you. On olinuxino boards those two pins are connected, and yet it boots fine without any battery. Do you mean that if we connect the those two pins then the capacitors on BATT are compulsory?

0 Kudos
jaydcarlson
Contributor III

Yes, because DCDC_BATTERY will have transient voltage spikes on it (regardless of if there's a battery hooked up or not) -- it's a DC/DC converter output, after all. Connecting that to the BATT pin will feed those transients back into the chip, which will screw up the battery detection / power subsystem.

If you remove the DCDC_BATTERY capacitors from an Olinuxino board, you'll notice it, too, will stop working -- regardless of if there's a battery attached or not. Trust me, I tried it :-)

The only solution is to lift the chip (with a hot air gun), cut the trace, and resolder.

0 Kudos
pierreparent
Contributor III

Hi, so I soldered a new board with the two  pins disconected (It was easier and safer).

Unfortunatly I get pretty much the same result. Exept that this time it reboots on its own, and not always at the same point.

I added every laking capacitor on VDDA and VDDD. The strange thing is for VDDD I get 1.5V instead of 1.2V.

I'll keep investigate.

LLLFC

Battery Voltage = 1.54V

No battery or bad battery                    detected!!!.Disabling battery                    voltage measurements./r/nLLCMar  6 201422:28:49

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC�HTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFC

Battery Voltage = 3.08V

Chargeable battery detected but                    the voltage is too low for battery                    powered operation.Booting from 5V                    power source.

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

hbus 0x00000003

cpu 0x00010001

L

Data Abort

r14_HTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFC

Battery Voltage = 1.49V

No battery or bad battery                    detected!!!.Disabling battery                    voltage measurements./r/nLLCMar  6 201422:28:49

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

Battery Voltage = 3.06V

Chargeable battery detected but                    the voltage is too low for battery                    powered operation.Booting from 5V                    power source.

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

hbus 0x00000003

cpu 0x00010001

L

Data Abort

Battery Voltage = 1.50V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start ch�HTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFC

Battery Voltage = 1.51V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

Battery Voltage = 3.08V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

hbus 0x00000003

cpu 0x00010001

L0x80206004

0x80502008

Battery Voltage = 1.57V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

Battery Voltage = 3.07V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

hbus 0x00000003

cpu 0x00010001

L

Data Abort

Battery Voltage = 1.55V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

Battery Voltage = 3.12V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

hbus 0x00000003

cpu 0x00010001

L

Data Abort

Battery Voltage = 1.54V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

Battery Voltage = 3.13V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

hbus 0x00000003

cpu 0x00010001

L

Undefined Instruction

r14_unHTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFC

Battery Voltage = 1.54V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

0 Kudos
pierreparent
Contributor III

Looking at the log it's intersting to see that each time it goes "Chargeable battery detected but ..." then it goes as far as "L"

But if it goes "No battery or bad battery" then it always crash before.

Also I see a diference with your design: I have a 1uF capa on VAG. Is it important? [edit: I guess not since it's a hp thing]

Can the location of the capacitors on the board have a real impact?

0 Kudos
pierreparent
Contributor III

Ok thanks a lot! I'll give it a try. (Anyway for now adding capacitors on VDDA VDDD VDDM seems to improve nothing, but i'll include them in my firther designs)

I'll inform you about the result, but it may not be before a few days because of few technical diffcultes for cutting the trace and a busy scedule.

0 Kudos
MarekVasut
Senior Contributor I

You can try using mainline U-Boot (2014.01) on this board. See if that reboots as well or not ...

0 Kudos
pierreparent
Contributor III

It seems the same problems appear on some olinuxino boards:

beginner boot issue- repeated "PowerPrep start initialize power..."

Hardware issues on new olinuxino boards

Olinuxino micro doesn´t boot

Was this problem solved, or do we know preciselly where it comes form?

0 Kudos
MarekVasut
Senior Contributor I

I recall we had such issue some time ago, but we are no longer getting the reports with the new version of U-Boot. Might be worth trying, so please let me know ... But if your VDDD and VDDA are not outputting anything , it might be something strange with the DC converter in the CPU . Did you change any wiring/components of it on your new hardware from either the reference design or olinuxino ?

0 Kudos
pierreparent
Contributor III

I soldered the other pcb. It does not boot either but gets a little further:

(It does not reboot I reboot manually)

Battery Voltage = 0.73V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

hbus 0x00000003

cpu 0x00010001

L

DatHTLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLFC

Battery Voltage = 0.88V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

hbus 0x00000003

cpu 0x00010001

L

Data Aort

r14abt:

Battery Voltage = 0.88V

EMI_CTRL 0x1C084040

FRAC 0x92926192

power 0x00820710

Frac 0x92926192

start change cpu freq

hbus 0x00000003

cpu 0x00010001

L

Maybe If I solder a third it will be ok! ^^

0 Kudos
EgleTeam
Contributor V

Pierre,

Few years ago I had the same problems that you have now with an iMX233 board. Definitively the problem was due to poor PDN (power delivery network). Can you explain a little more how is your board?: number of layers, build-up, processor package (qfn or bga), DDR package (tssop or BGA), decoupling caps per pin/ball, bulk caps, and so on...

Best regards,

Manuel.

0 Kudos
pierreparent
Contributor III

Thanks for your answer!

It's a 2 layers pcb (1 layer for components).

lqfp128 for imx

ssop66 for ram

Well actually when I designed the board, I was not aware of freescale design reference.

I was a bit light on capacitors, so I guess it must be the cause of my problem. I made a litlle diff list with reference design. Here is what's lacking.

VDDA:  1uF x2; 100nf

VDDD: 1uF; 100nF x2

VDDIO: 100nF x2; 1UF (SD)

5V (regulated input): ok

VDD4P2: ok (exept for resistor 0.1ohm in serial with 33uF)

2.5V (RAM):  1uF;  100nf x5

BATT (linked with DCDC_BATT):  Is this really necessary if not using battery?

VDDXTAL: ok

I will try to add some of them by hand without producing a new pcb. I will inform you if it improves something.

Best regards,

Pierre.

0 Kudos
EgleTeam
Contributor V

Your welcome Pierre,

that's how I begun and it was no possible. My suggestion: use at least 4 layers and if possible 6 (since there's no BGA you can order PCBs in class 5 and the difference between 4 and 6 layers is not too expensive).

On the other hand, if you solder your prototypes by hand... avoid to solder with tip: with solder paste + hot air you get  better solder joint.

I hope you get your board working as soon as possible! :-)

Best regards,

Manuel.

0 Kudos
pierreparent
Contributor III

So I tested with u-boot 4.1 it does "HTLC" and crashes into a weird state where VDDIO VDDA and VDDD are down, but 4.2 & 2.5 are up. In this state any instability will make the board reboot.

If I boot with no sd card in slot, I get 3.3v 1.8v and 1.2v but 2.5 and 4.2v are down (wich is normal).

I wonder if it can be a capacitor problem, or whether the imx must have been damaged.

0 Kudos
pierreparent
Contributor III

Well yes i did some minor changes on components as I said before. For exemple no capacitor on battery, no reset button.

At first I get correct VDDA and VDDD the prolem seems to occur while switching from linreg to 4P2 DCDC.

I will inform you for uboot. And I will solder an other board (since I have 2 pcbs) to be sure there is no "soldering bug".

0 Kudos
pierreparent
Contributor III

Thanks for your reply,

As I said before "I tried with u-boot, and it also crash after "HTLC", but does not reboot after. The voltage are then stable 5V, 4.2V, 2.5V are ok, but 3.3 VDDA VDDD are down to zero."

Though I'm unsure what version of u-boot I used,. I will check.

The result is the same booting on sd or with Usb (mxsldr)

0 Kudos