iMX8QM - detect engineering samples / production SoCs?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX8QM - detect engineering samples / production SoCs?

fmonte
Contributor IV
Hello, is it possible to detect (eg. in some registers) if aboard has a pre-production iMX8QM (eg. PIMX8QM6AVUFFAB) or the final version (MIMX8QM6AVUFFAB)? Thank you, Francesco
0 Kudos
13 Replies

fmonte
Contributor IV

Hello joanxie, the board is a custom design derived from 8QM-MEK.

We have some boards with the pre-production SoC and other boards with the serie SoC, and I would like to detect at runtime which SoC the board mounts.

Thank you!

Francesco

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

when the board boot up, did you see anything board information in the log file? or could you send the log file to me ?

0 Kudos

fmonte
Contributor IV

Which log file are you talking about?

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

when the board boot up, you get the information from the uart debug port

0 Kudos

fmonte
Contributor IV

There is no such information in the debug UARTs.

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

what's you mean? your board doesn't have such port? how could you confirm if your board boot up successfully or not?

0 Kudos

fmonte
Contributor IV

I try to keep my tone as polite as possible.

"There is no such information" means that there is no print on a serial port that indicates if the board mounts a pre-production SoC or not. How did you understand that there is no serial port?

Probably there is linguistic barrier. Otherwise I do not understand all your replies on this "discussion", starting from asking pictures of a board.

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I don't know your status,maybe I misunderstand this, I thought you have two different customized board on your hands, you couldn't distinguish them, in fact, when the board boot up, you can read the cpu information from the uboot, so I ask for the log file, the source code from

https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/uboot-imx/tree/arch/arm/mach-imx/imx8/cpu.c?h=imx_v2020.0...

u32 get_cpu_rev(void)
{
	u32 id = 0, rev = 0;
	int ret;

ret = sc_misc_get_control(-1, SC_R_SYSTEM, SC_C_ID, &id);
	if (ret)
		return 0;

rev = (id >> 5)  & 0xf;
	id = (id & 0x1f) + MXC_SOC_IMX8;  /* Dummy ID for chip */

/* 8DXL uses A1/A2, so generate dummy rev to differentiate with B/C */
	if (id == MXC_CPU_IMX8DXL && rev != 0)
		rev = 0x10 + rev;

return (id << 12) | rev;
}

0 Kudos

fmonte
Contributor IV

The iMX8QM uses the same masks (B0) among engineering samples and production SoCs. So all boards are reporting 8QM B0. This does not allow distinguishing eng samples.

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

yes, customer just needs to care about the last "B" in part number which  stands for silicon version can be read by uboot

0 Kudos

fmonte
Contributor IV

Both engineering samples and production units are B0. How do you differentiate them?

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

no register to differentiate them

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

do you have board picture or schematic which posted back of the board? if yes, send to me, let me confirm this

0 Kudos