cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX8QM boot ROM and image header information

rkohli2000
Contributor III

Hi experts,

I am trying to create an eMMC (and/or SPI) flash image that mimics the format expected by the iMX8QM boot ROM. Note, I'm not intending to use u-boot at all.

The boot ROM would then read the information from the header and set up the system as defined in the header. I'd like to have the boot ROM jump to a known address and launch a Cortex-A53 app.bin.

Is this mechanism possible ? 

Can someone please provide some guidance or explain how to go about this ? How would the flash image be created and what would be its layout ?

Thanks in advance.

Ravi

0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ravi

one can refer to sect."Creating a SCFW only image", "Creating a Cortex-A image only",

"Creating a Cortex-M4 image only", "Flash image" on below link :

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/i-MX8-Boot-process-and-creating-a-bootab...

Chapter 5 System Boot  i.MX 8DualXPlus/8QuadXPlus Applications Processor Reference Manual

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

rkohli2000
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the reference. I see the header information and will experiment with the header info fields. Is there risk of bricking my imx8QM MEK ? 

I'd like to load an A53 app at a given SPI / eMMC flash address and run it. Something like using uboot's tftpboot <addr> and bootm <addr>. Can uuu help to do this (without a probe) ? Can you explain the user steps ?

Thanks 

Ravi

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ravi

there is no risk of bricking imx8QM MEK.

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos