iMX8QM EVK doesn't boot on SD card

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX8QM EVK doesn't boot on SD card

joshua_achinger
Contributor I

So far I have not been able to successfully get the i.MX 8QuadMax MEK board to boot.  Ideally, I would like to get this eval kit booting and to flash the M4 binary, with Trace32, however, I cannot seem to get the provided Linux image to boot from the SD card, either.

Initially I tried writing a SCFW image (provided by Lauterbach) to the SD card.  After doing this I attempted to load an M4 binary using Trace32, however T32 reported that there were CPU Bus errors when attempting to attach.

At this point, I assumed that there could be issues with the SCFW image and decided to try simply using the IMX8QM Linux image, which is provided at the "IMXPRERELEASES: Alpha / Beta BSPs for Microprocessors" page: https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=L4.19.35_1.0.0_MX8QM&appType=license .  This was not successful either.

Steps taken:

1. Writing SCFW or Linux image to SD card
  2. Inserting SD card into J19
  3. Setting the Boot Switch Selection (SW2) with POS-3 and POS-4 ON for Boot Device SD1, with the rest of the switches in the OFF position.
  4. With the SCFW image:
    1. Power Cyclic the board and attempting to flash the M4 software using T32.
    2. Pressing the MEK Reset Button (SW3) and attempting to flash the M4 software using T32.
  5. With the Linux L4.19.35_1.0.0_MX8QM image:
    1. Connecting the USB Debug port (J19)
    2. Opening 2 PuTTY sessions (One for each FTDI connection that appears after connecting USB calbe ) with Baud rate: 115200 (as per the instructions in IMX8QUADMAXQSG.pdf).
    3. Power Cycling or pressing the SW3
    4. Hitting enter in both PuTTY terminals.

For the Linux case, are there any steps that I am missing in order for this board to successfully boot?

Thanks,

Josh

0 Kudos
1 Reply

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Josh

for writing image Linux Biary Demo Files - i.MX 8QMax MEK  one can follow

sect.4.3.2 Copying the full SD card image attached Linux Guide or uuu tool.

GitHub - NXPmicro/mfgtools: Freescale/NXP I.MX Chip image deploy tools. 

Full documentation can be found in Linux 4.19.35_1.1.0 Documentation

For M4 one can follow sect.7.3 Run an example application document

Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for i.MX 8QuadMax included in

SDK_MEK-MIMX8QM which can be obtained on

Welcome | MCUXpresso SDK Builder 

Below short overview of boot process

i.MX8 Boot process and creating a bootable image 

Video :

i.MX 8QuadMax/QuadPlus Multisensory Enablement Kit | NXP 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos