iMX8QM B0 SoC memory/HDMI setting question ...

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX8QM B0 SoC memory/HDMI setting question ...

richard_jwl
Contributor I

Dear Sir/Madam,

We need your help to provide suggestions to some major questions related to iMX8QM SoC memory

and HDMI output setting, the details please refer to the following;

1. LPDDR4 memory setting in the U-BOOT;

In the IMXBSPPG guideline, we got a description said on i.MX 8QuadMax B0 SoC, the DDR

initialization codes are in SCFW. Users only need to update the DCD table in SCFW and build

new SCFW for imx-mkimage, then the U-BOOT will follow the DCD setting from SCFW,

but we got trouble on this, no matter how hard we try, we always cannot deliver the correct

DCD setting to U-BOOT, is any missing part we should know about the DCD setting to U-BOOT

on iMX8QM B0 SoC?

2. HDMI output setting;

We already lots of suggestions from NXP community about how to set an HDMI output on iMX8 SoC,

but no one worked on our board, most of the suggestions said we can use setenv command to enable

the HDMI output function on board with the parameter in the following;

setenv displayinfo 'video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,if=RGB24'

Is it the correct setenv setting to the H/W? We confirmed we included the HDMI firmware

in the imx-mkimage procedure.  

Hope we can hear from you soon, thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

1) maybe you can refer to register programming aids as below

i.MX8QM / i.MX8QXP Validation And MEK LPDDR4 Register Programming Aids 

2)refer to the 4.19.35 user guide, you need to set as below:

For i.MX 8QuadMax/8QuadXPlus, the following display kernel parameters are supported:
1. Pick a particular video mode for legacy FB emulation since system startup.
video=HDMI-A-{n}: {video_mode}

n can be 1 to the maximum number of HDMI connectors in the system. video_mode should be the one that
the monitor on the connector supports. For example, video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60. By default, if
there is no parameter in the command line, the system uses the video mode that the monitor recommends.

0 Kudos

richard_jwl
Contributor I

Hi Joan,

Thanks for the feedback, the link you provided about the Register Programming Aids tool for the 1st question, we can not log in to the location and get the files, the page shows up "Unauthorized" info and blocks the access, have any possibility to fix this problem?

Actually we got an "i.MX8QM/QP/DM DDR Controller Configuration Spreadsheet" from NXP FAE, and we also update a DCD configure file to SCFW based on the output from this sheet, the detailed steps we have done on our H/W are;

1. Create an update version DCD file from “i.MX8QM/QP/DM DDR Controller Configuration Spreadsheet”,

the file name is “scfw_8G_800.cfg”

2. Use “cp -r platform/board/mx8qm_mek/platform/board/ mx8qm_richard/” command to create a test board setting

for the H/W.

3. Copy “scfw_8G_800.cfg” file

to the location at /imx-scfw-porting-kit1.2/src/scfw_export_mx8/platform/board/mx8qm_richard/dcd/.

4. Use “make qm R=B0 B=richard DL=3 D=1 M=1 DDR_CON=scfw_8G_800” command to create new SCFW.

5. Copy new SCFW bin file to /imx-mkimage/iMX8QM/ folder, also copy uboot.bin, bl31.bin, HDMI firmware

we got from the BSP deploy folder to the same location.

6. Use “make SOC=iMX8QM flash_b0” command to create “flash.bin” from the mkimage process.

7. Use “sudo dd if=flash.bin of=/dev/sdc bs=1024 seek=32” command to flash the bootloader to SD card.

8. Verify the bootloader on the H/W.

We hope to have 8GB LPDDR4 setting on the H/W, but the console message always shows up the memory setting with 6GB size;

U-Boot 2019.04-4.19.35-1.1.0+g4d377539a1 (Mar 03 2020 - 09:16:42 +0000)

CPU:   NXP i.MX8QM RevB A53 at 1200 MHz at 33C

Model: Freescale i.MX8QM MEK

Board: iMX8QM MEK

Boot:  SD1

DRAM:  6 GiB

tcpc_init: Can't find device id=0x51

MMC:   FSL_SDHC: 0, FSL_SDHC: 1

Loading Environment from MMC... Run CMD11 1.8V switch

OK

In:    serial

Out:   serial

Err:   serial

BuildInfo:

- SCFW 4e91f37b, SECO-FW d7523fe8, IMX-MKIMAGE dd023400, ATF 70fa7bc

- U-Boot 2019.04-4.19.35-1.1.0+g4d377539a1

Is there any step we missing in the process? I hope we can have your assistance to solve this issue.

For the HDMI issue, we will implement a new setting to H/W based on your suggestion and provide the test result after.

Thank you very much for your help.

0 Kudos

joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

did you pass the ddr stress test? The DDR stress test tool is used as a mechanism to verify that the DDR initialization is operational prior to building the SCFW for use with u-boot and OS bring-up. if you haven't use this tool, try to contact your DFAE to get this tool, try to verify your ddr initialization first.

0 Kudos

richard_jwl
Contributor I

Hi Joan,

Thank you very much for your support, we got solutions for both DDR and HDMI display issue on our H/W, and the function works without a problem now.  

0 Kudos