Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX8MP / iMX8MM unique id

Jump to solution
andreascian
Contributor II

Dear all,

I'm working with different iMX based platform, from iMX6* to iMX8*

We are used to look at SOC Unique ID to identify products on field because this is guarantee to be unique for each single component

I've notice a major changes between iMX8MP and the others (even iMX8MM for example): usually SOC Unique ID is a 32 bit number, but on iMX8MP is a 64 bit number

I'm wondering if we can use a 32 bit subset of these 64 bit and yet assume that this number is unique across all SOCs, so we can have a higher level of software compatibility across the whole iMX family

Any clue or additional information?

Kind Regards and Thanks in advance,

Andrea

0 Kudos
1 Solution
andreascian
Contributor II

BTW a colleague of mine asked the same question to NXP dedicated support and have the confirm that:

The UID[127-64] located on bank 40, world 0 and word 1.

so we have an official answer to share.

Hope this help others in our same situation

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Harvey021
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @andreascian 

Sorry for replying to you with delay.

More details hope to help you, SoC UID is a read-only fuse value, which is programmed by the factory to identify a unique SoC, and this value is randomly generated. duplicate would happen if use only 32bits.

Best regards

Harvey

0 Kudos
andreascian
Contributor II

Hi Harvey

on iMX8MP I've also found some additional UNIQUE_ID bits into the fusemap, see fuse address 0xE00-0xE10 named as UNIQUE_ID[127:64]

Does it means that UNIQUE_ID is 128 bit wide on this platform?

0 Kudos
Harvey021
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

That is correct.

Best regards

Harvey

0 Kudos
andreascian
Contributor II

sorry for replying to this old thread, but can you help me in figuring out which bank/register is associated with these upper 64 bits?

IIUC 0xE00 should correspond to bank 40 register 0 but can please confirm this?

0 Kudos
andreascian
Contributor II

BTW a colleague of mine asked the same question to NXP dedicated support and have the confirm that:

The UID[127-64] located on bank 40, world 0 and word 1.

so we have an official answer to share.

Hope this help others in our same situation

0 Kudos
andreascian
Contributor II

I reply to myself because I also opened a support ticket. Support team already reply that I was wrong and SOC UniqueID is 64 bit in both iMX8MP and iMX8MM and that's guarantee unique only it's full 64 bit format

0 Kudos