cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX8M DDR Tools Impedance Values

DavidKondrad
Contributor I

Greetings,

We are using the DDR Tools 3.10 and RPA v25 to tune a custom board with LPDDR4.

It appears that changing the impedance values in the RPA does seem to have an effect on the training script that is loaded; however, we do not see any changes in the "lpddr4_timing.c" file.

The values we are changing are:

ddrparam setATxImpedance40
ddrparam setODTImpedance40
ddrparam setTxImpedance 34

Is this a bug or are those values only used by the DDR tool?

Regards,

David

0 Kudos
3 Replies

nxf63675
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi DavidKondrad,

We always change ODTImpedance/TxImpedance/ATxImpedance to fine tune the timing if there is PCB layout issue. So probably the values that you give to the programming aid have minimum changes on the timing.

Regards,

Israel H.

0 Kudos

DavidKondrad
Contributor I

HI,

Yes, of course, but I believe you misunderstand the issue.

Changes, even by large values, to those fields in the RPA (and subsequently the script used by the DDR tool) result in the exact same register programming output in lpddr4_timing.c. The files are completely identical therefore there's no way to adjust for layout issues. I would have expected that these adjustments would be carried over somehow to the configuration parameters.

I guess a better question would be:

what is the script command that accepts those impedance values actually doing?

Since the tool is closed source and the IMX8MDQLQRM is filled with "see PHY DATABOOK" references, we're flying blind here.

Regards,

David

0 Kudos

nxf63675
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi DavidKondrad,

Ok as you are saying this is not normal behavior, please attach the files that you are using, I will try from our part different configurations and see if this works, and if we still have this issue I will ask the designer of the tool why this is happening.

Regards,

Israel H.

0 Kudos