cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX6 custom video capture via Parallel camera interface

fnairz
Contributor II

Hi,

I adopted the ov5640 driver to capture custom data from a FPGA connected to the parallel camera interface of an iMX6.

So far, it works well and the debug logs show that my configuration of width/height is taken into account.

End of mxc_v4l_open: v2f pix widthxheight 16 x 16

End of mxc_v4l_open: crop_bounds widthxheight 16 x 16

End of mxc_v4l_open: crop_defrect widthxheight 16 x 16

End of mxc_v4l_open: crop_current widthxheight 16 x 16

The following configs were choosen:

Format: V4L2_PIX_FMT_RGB565

Wdith: 16

Height: 16

The bus is driven by an 8MHz clock generated within the FPGA, signals were checked by scope.

I am using gstreamer-0.10 libraries and the base plugins are installed.

Now the problem is the following:

When i create the following pipe from my application I am able to capture data, but they are wrong - means that data is not what i expected it to be. For testing purposes we implemented a linear increasing counter that is transfered from FPGA to the mcu.

Pipe: mfw_v4lsrc name=source num-buffers=2 device=/dev/video0 ! appsink name=sink

So, when I capture one buffer and decode my data (MSB,LSB) I got only a frame size of 16 x 12 Pixel containing wrong data.

Someone who has an idea why this happens.

I would also appreciate when someone could take its time to give me a starting point how to get rid of v4l2 overhead and configure the CSI/IPU completely within an own driver.

Regards

Florian

Labels (3)
10 Replies

tugbademir
Contributor I

We are also have problem with this. Could you say how did you handle this problem?

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Florian,

I don't know what you mean that you use ov5640 driver to capture video data from FPGA. Actually, your application is not in our support range, but I can give some adive , maybe useful to you .

(1)CSI parallel port on i.MX6

For example , you can use CSI0 port( you can find it in the schematic of i.MX6 EVK board) to connect to FPGA, and capture data from FPGA.

(2)CSI driver

In linux BSP , we use a program named mxc_v4l2_capture.c to capture and handle video data from external camera sensor( in you application, it should be FPGA)

(3)CSI timing

For you application, CSI timing is very important for you , so you should tell it to local engineer of FPGA

see attachment , please !

OK, Hope above information can help you !

Regards,

Weidong

fnairz
Contributor II

Hi,

Thank you very much for the timing document.

Is it correct that data is sampled at the falling clock edge in the IPU/CSI unit?

Weidong Sun schrieb:

I don't know what you mean that you use ov5640 driver to capture video data from FPGA. Actually, your application is not in our support range, but I can give some adive , maybe useful to you .

Sorry for being imprecise, we are simulating a camera interface with the FPGA to transmit custom data.

The FPGA is connected to the IPU0 - CSI0 and pixel clock is at 8MHz.

Since yesterday we are able to receive data. The problem was the HSYNC line. We had just 'short' impulses on hsync, as present on page 1 of your timing document. As we switched to the 'JPEG' mode, holding HSYNC high for the entire frame (page 4), we were able to receive data. How can we modify the driver to go out of JPEG mode? Btw. the data that is received is not fully correct atm but this needs further internal review.

For our goal of transferring data from the FPGA to the uC we modified your v4l stack to support 1 Byte data, as described in this thread.

Our new configuration is:

Format: V4L2_PIX_FMT_GREY

Width: 2048 (single bytes)

Height: 32

This is the gstreamer pipeline that we use to capture data from the interface:

mfw_v4lsrc num-buffers=XX device=/dev/video0 ! appsink

where XX is some positive number atm. and will be removed when everything works fine to receive continuous data.

EDIT:

Forgot to state that we are using IPU/CSI in gated clock mode.

0 Kudos

pradeepas
Contributor II

Hello,

I'm working on something similar. I was wandering whether you could fix the issues?

Thank you,

0 Kudos

fnairz
Contributor II

Hi,

yes, we were able to fix this. We modified the V4L stack to provide the functionality to configure the incoming data as a greyscale image.

The timing is a little more diffucult:

We choose the gated mode and we provide new data from the FPGA to the ARM on the falling edge (FPGA changes data lines on falling edge, ARM samples data on rising edge).

Hope this helps.

Regards Florian

0 Kudos

curtis1
Contributor II

I am presently facing a similar problem, it seems that in JPEG mode we get corrupted data.

Can you elaborate on your solution a little more? What changes in the v4l2 driver and device tree were needed? What signal format did you use? I see some indication of "gated clock mode", does this conform to the above posted timing diagrams?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos

curtis1
Contributor II

For anyone facing a similar problem, I found that the mxc_v4l_open function in the mxc_v4l2_capture module did not properly set the external vsync option for the selected IPU/CSI combination. Testing confirmed that vsync set to internal caused jumbled data.

0 Kudos

pradeepas
Contributor II

Hi,

I have also changed the V4L2 stack. Could you please let me know what are the changes you did. Following are the changes I did,

1. Add cam->current_input = 1; to the init_camera_struct() function. (To select CSI-MEM channel)
  2. Add V4L2_PIX_FMT_GENERIC to the mxc_v4l2_capture.c file and videodev2.h files. (#define was not there in the videodev2.h file)
  3. Add a ‘case V4L2_PIX_FMT_GENERIC:’ to mxc_v4l2_s_fmt() function
  4. Add V4L2_PIX_FMT_GENERIC option in valid_mode() function.
  5. Add V4L2_PIX_FMT_GENERIC option to ipu_enc_setup file’s csi_enc_setup() function

Thank you

0 Kudos

fnairz
Contributor II

I can provide a patch when I am back in my office and there is still the need to do so.

Regards

Flo

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello ,

0 Kudos