cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX53 es2 samples fail on fbdev

CrankSoftware
Contributor II

Hi,

I have built the OpenGL 2.0 lessons for the iMX53 targetting fbdev.  When I run these on the board the eglInitialize fails.  The X11 samples work fine.  I also tried my own application and eglInitialize returns the error EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED.  Has anyone gotten these examples to work?

I also find it odd that the EGL library is linked against the X libs so even if you build targetting fbdev you still need to link the X libs and have them available on the target.  What is the reason for this or is there a way around it?

Thanks,

Jason

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

MarkRoy
Contributor III

Hey folks.

I'm having similar difficulties getting the samples to work outside of X11.

The image I have boots into Ubuntu first, which I exit by stoping gdm.    Next, I switch to the boot console (ctrl-alt-f1), login and try to run the samples.

Most of them give me EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED or similar.   I've also tried a few different things in the kernel (enabling anything that looks like it might be related to graphics or framebuffer support), but no luck. 

Is it possible the problem is that the framebuffer is currently being used by the console?  I'll try booting without that console to see if it makes a difference, but any advice is appreciated. [edit] I just removed console framebuffer support from the kernel, but it gives the same EGL_NOT_INITIALIZED error when I try a demo.

Mark Roy

0 Kudos

RichardZhao
Contributor I

Please use right gpu driver. EGL is interface to native window system. So EGL is different between fb, X11 and android. You may find different packages in ltib.

0 Kudos

MarkRoy
Contributor III

The image I am using is the Ubuntu image, not one made using LTIB.  However, I have tried extracting the fb driver on top of the image to no avail.  I will try an image built directly from LTIB to see if that works.

[edit]  I just tried the LTIB generated rootfs built with only the framebuffer libraries and it seems that the compiled demos are trying to load the X11 libraries, even though the executables are named with _fbdev and _x11, both versions try and use the X11 version.   I'll try rebuilding the examples myself.

Mark

0 Kudos

RichardZhao
Contributor I

Please don't select X if you use LTIB. If you selected X, ltib will try to use gpu driver for X.

0 Kudos

MarkRoy
Contributor III

Yup, got it working.  Recompiling the gpu SDK did the trick.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos

jack_mao
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, do your boards support the qt 2d 3d on the qws? if yes, you must change something on the qws, right?

Jason Clarke said:

Thanks for your response. We came to the same conclusion and built our own image, rather than trying to just link against the libs on the SD card shipped with the quick start board.

We now have i.MX53 OpenGL ES support for our Storyboard UI Suite. If anyone is interested in trying it out you can download an evaluation on our website and mention you are using the i.MX53 in the description box.

http://cranksoftware.com/products/crank_storyboard_designer.php

Regards,

Jason

0 Kudos

CrankSoftware
Contributor II

Thanks for your response. We came to the same conclusion and built our own image, rather than trying to just link against the libs on the SD card shipped with the quick start board.

We now have i.MX53 OpenGL ES support for our Storyboard UI Suite. If anyone is interested in trying it out you can download an evaluation on our website and mention you are using the i.MX53 in the description box.

http://cranksoftware.com/products/crank_storyboard_designer.php

Regards,

Jason

0 Kudos

jack_mao
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I guess that you mabe do not configure the kernel correctly, I met almost the same thing, I want to run opengl es2 examples in qt, but the demo always invoke the x11 lib, I use framebuffer to show the 3d, I look for the configuration for kernel, added some package, then the error gone.

0 Kudos