cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX28 SPI driver on Linux

x10
Contributor V

Hi, All

I got problem on developing imx28 spi driver on WinCE6.0. The MCIMX28RM is the only document, but SPI is poorly documented. It's will be much helpful if anybody can provide the corresponding linux spi driver source code, file name should be "mxs-spi.c".

Thanks in advance

BR

Cheng Shi

emtronix

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

wolfgang_gaerbe
Contributor II

Hi Cheng,

Well, the documentation on the SPI is even more comprehensive and precise than anything other seen;-)))

You can find a baseline SPI driver in the acual u-boot distribution.

It´s using polling and it´s slow as hell.

Spansion got probably little more support (or they figured it out by themselves) to write an spi driver which somehow takes advantage of the obviously existing fifo in the spi controller.

see:

http://imxcommunity.org/group/spansion

The description is as incomplete as usual and I have no clue why somebody in this group tells "just follow procedure and it works" - but who cares.

In this example you see how they stuff 4 Bytes in the data register - which is the fifo ????

Programming the SPI using DMA should be straightforward -

The actual simple u-boot polling version needs 1us to stuff the next spi byte - so the clockrate doesn´t matter at all.

So I was able to "boot" the device from SPI Flash (6MB) in 30 seconds.

After applying any useful measure to improve that polling code I ended up with 8 seconds - which is still not acceptable.

The documentation for using the DMA should be somewhat complete and understandable.

rgds

0 Kudos