iMX28: Difference between pswitch usb mode and BM0:3 usb mode?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX28: Difference between pswitch usb mode and BM0:3 usb mode?

Jump to solution
matthiasm_
Contributor I

We have a custom board base on the iMX28 EVK which runs smoothly so far. But now we discovered we need to set the fuses for secure boot. This seems only possible while booting through USB OTG.

I wonder if there is a difference between the differently initiated USB boot modes. The reference manual describes two methods:

1. Apply high level voltage to PSWITCH for more then 5 seconds to enter "Freescale USB Recovery Mode"

2. Apply low level volatge to BM0:3 for USB Boot Mode

What's the difference? We need to write the fuses for secure boot capability! Is this possible with both methods?

On our recent board, we configured the BM0:3 pins (0b1001)  for booting from SD-Card. Additionally PSWITCH is tied to VDDXTAL through a 10k resistor and we use a 5V supply only. Everything runs good. My question is, if I need PSWITCH for USB recovery mode (to write also the fuses), will the system also start from SD-Card if PSWITCH has low level voltage and the 5V supply is available? This would make the changes easier!?

Thanks for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

USB boot and USB Recovery modes are the same mode :

" ... the other methods of entering USB boot mode are referred to generally

as recovery mode" ; please refer to  section 12.13.4 (USB Recovery Mode)

of the i.MX28  Reference Manual.
  Basically it is possible to use configuration, when PSWITCH has low level voltage,
assuming start, using 5V supply rising.

Have a great day,
Yuri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
matthiasm_
Contributor I

Hello Yuri,

thank you very much for your fast reply. I appreciate your help.

I read the sentence a few times before, but was not sure about it :-)

Regards,

Matthias

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

USB boot and USB Recovery modes are the same mode :

" ... the other methods of entering USB boot mode are referred to generally

as recovery mode" ; please refer to  section 12.13.4 (USB Recovery Mode)

of the i.MX28  Reference Manual.
  Basically it is possible to use configuration, when PSWITCH has low level voltage,
assuming start, using 5V supply rising.

Have a great day,
Yuri

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos