iMX23 EVK Wifi/Ethernet Dongles

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMX23 EVK Wifi/Ethernet Dongles

JGN
Contributor I
I'm trying to use the ASIX AX88x72A ethernet dongle and TL-WN321G wifi dongle with the iMX23 EVK. I haven't had any luck, despite configuring the kernel with LTIB to enable these devices. Is what I'm trying to do even possible? The board keeps complaining about symbols netif_carrier _on and netif_carrier_off when i try to use MII, and I haven't come across any solutions to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

VikramU_ng
Contributor III

Hi Nandi,

It appears that the Module needs to be built for specific kernel. Please see if you can get the driver source build inside ltib.

Please place the src files under <ltib_path>/build/rpm folder

The Software is based on the 2.6.31 linux kernel. Installation of the LTIB is essential for driver development.

After LTIB is installed, enter the ltib directory
    Configure using "./ltib -m config" from the <ltib> path. Configure parameters and packages as needed.

To Add new packages and Modules, on the <ltib>/config/userspace/packages.lkc add the new Module in Alphabetic order for it to appear in Package list

config PKG_SAMPLE_MOD
    depends CAP_HAS_MMU
    select PKG_KERNEL_LEAVESRC
    bool "Sample module example"
    help
            simple Sample kernel modules example

config PKG_VIKRAM
    select PKG_NCURSES
    bool "vikram"
    help
             vikram is an example for a standalone program for Compilation via Eclipse.

Second step is to add these packages :
For the <ltib>/config/userspace/ add the section to include a Spec file as listed

PKG_SAMPLE_MOD             = sample_mod
    PKG_VIKRAM                       = vikram

The Module can now be saved as sample_mod.spec as attached. please note that vikram-1.4.tar.gz is also attached for reference as a Single Program for version control.

the buildspace can be in the <ltib>/rpm/BUILD path and the contents can be packages in the tar.gz file format as defined in the .spec file for the package.
To install and deploy packages
use "./ltib -p package" for the package to be readied for compilation
use "./ltib"
                 #In some cases to prepare the build it is nhttps://sites.google.com/eccessary to copy the tar.gz to the /opt/freescale/pkgs folder for the LTIB builder to pick the package.

ASIX Driver Download   Steps to Build on Ubuntu

To build modules under ltib, refer this document  Spec file and Module Creation on LTIB

Please let me know if this works. I know that the module you build is wrong. Get it to work on Ubuntu and cross compile later to ARM/Freescale. Sorry cannot any additional thought on how to troubleshoot right now.

HTH,

Vikram U

0 Kudos

JGN
Contributor I

When I type modprobe mii the following appears:

mii: disagrees about version of symbol netif_carrier_off

mii: Unknown symbol netif_carrier_off

mii: disagrees about version of symbol netif_carrier_onmii: Unknown symbol netif_carrier_on

modprobe: failed to load module mii (/lib/modules/2.6.31-626-g602af1c/kernel/drivers/net/mii.ko): unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter

The actually module for the ethernet dongle is named asix, but it depends on the mii module:

modprobe asix

and the same errors from modprobe mii appear.

modprobe ehci-hcd (for the usb port) brings up:

fsl-ehci fsl-ehci: Freescale On-Chip EHCI Host Controller

fsl-ehci fsl-ehci: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1

fsl-ehci fsl-ehci: irq 11, io base 0x80080000

fsl-ehci fsl-ehci: USB 2.0 started, EHCI 1.00

usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found

hub 1-0:1.0: 1 port detected

usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using fsl-ehci and address 2

usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

lsmod brings up:

Module                  Size  Used by

ehci_hcd               36648  0

lsusb returns nothing 

vikram u said:

Hi Nandi,

Could you please post the error log, the lsusb interfaces, details regards the listed modules(lsmod) and help identify why a device is not registered/mounted?.

0 Kudos

VikramU_ng
Contributor III

Hi Nandi,

Could you please post the error log, the lsusb interfaces, details regards the listed modules(lsmod) and help identify why a device is not registered/mounted?.

0 Kudos

JGN
Contributor I
Hi Vikram, thanks for replying. I have dongles that have worked on the chumby hacker board, but something seems to be up with the MII module.

vikram u said:

Hi Nandi,

There are a few USB Dongles available.. closest that might help is the one that works with the chumby board. General pointers are here Chumby USB Ethernet

0 Kudos

VikramU_ng
Contributor III

Hi Nandi,

There are a few USB Dongles available.. closest that might help is the one that works with the chumby board. General pointers are here Chumby USB Ethernet

0 Kudos