Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.mx6q 32KHz Internal Oscillator & HDMI CEC

Jump to solution
kevincormier
Contributor I

Hello Community,

We are working on a custom board solution and are investigating non-working CEC.

The root cause appears to be incorrect timing of bit transmission - confirmed by both an HDMI analyzer and scope - basically bits are transitioning "too fast" and very similar to issue reported here.  Start and bit transitions are approximately 60% of nominal (e.g., +/-2.4ms actual versus +/-3.6ms nominal)

Our board does not populate the external 32KHz source and is therefore using the internal oscillator.

Enabling RTC and examining counter values we can see that the internal oscillator is "running fast" with the same variance as CEC bit timings.

We have some parts on order to see if external 32KHz oscillator cleans things up but was wondering:

• Has anyone else observed CEC issues with internal oscillator?
  • Is there any mechanism (I can find no reference) to trim the internal oscillator for a quick test?
  • Could anything else be causing this timing issue?
    • The HDMI core is driving the line and no external controls.

Thanks in advance - will post our findings back to this thread.

Kevin Cormier
Fidus Systems

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kevin

internal oscillator inaccuracy is caused by erratum :

ERR007926 ROM: 32 kHz internal oscillator timing inaccuracy

i.MX6DQ Errata

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/errata/IMX6DQCE.pdf

Unfortunately there is no way to trim the internal oscillator.

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Kevin

internal oscillator inaccuracy is caused by erratum :

ERR007926 ROM: 32 kHz internal oscillator timing inaccuracy

i.MX6DQ Errata

http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/errata/IMX6DQCE.pdf

Unfortunately there is no way to trim the internal oscillator.

Best regards

igor

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
kevincormier
Contributor I

Addition of an external 32KHz oscillator corrected the bit timings and enabled CEC operation.

0 Kudos