Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.mx6D VDDARM23_CAP Grounding

Jump to solution
ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

mystery.png

Hello,

We are currently working on a i.mx6D custom board and have come across a very strange issue.

Perhaps someone who is using this processor can shed some light.

In all documentation we have seen, it is suggested to bridge VDDARM23_CAP to ground when using the DUAL version of the i.mx6 processor (i.mx6D).

Upon initial board bring-up we found that the processor power usage and temperature are unstable and very high.  With R23 in place, the processor uses double the power and reaches the trip temperatures within a minute with no load.

It was determined that only by removing the suggested ground connection (by removing R23 in the attached schematic) could the processor stabilize and reach a useable state. This is in conflict with the suggested layout for the i.mx6D.

Currently running 2GB ddr31600.

Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

I am working on optimizing temperature and power usage. Can anyone clarify how they are using the DUAL processor?

Thanks

Brent

Labels (3)
1 Solution
JorgeRama_rezRi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Brent,

How is your VDDARM23_IN connection? Are you grounding it too?

Best regards.

Jorge.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JorgeRama_rezRi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Brent,

How is your VDDARM23_IN connection? Are you grounding it too?

Best regards.

Jorge.

ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

No, it is connected to VDD core.

Is this wrong?

Thanks Jorge.

Brent

0 Kudos
ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

mystery.png

Here we can see the way I have it setup.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JorgeRama_rezRi
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Brent,

For dual operation you should ground the VDDARM23_IN pins too. Here's the thing: There's an internal LDO from VDDARM23_IN to VDDARM23_CAP which supplies the i.MX6 core. If you supply the VDDARM23_IN pins and ground VDDARM23_CAP, then there will be current flowing from 23_IN to 23_CAP, that's why your current consumption increases. The ideal way to go would be to ground the 23_IN pins. If this is not possible, you can only leave the 23_CAP pins floating by removing both R23 and R24 and your current consumption will decrease.

Best regards.

Jorge.

ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

That is clearly what the issue was in my case and it explains it. Thank you.
It would explain why I needed to remove R23 on my schematic..

IF (in my case) R23 is disconnected (floating), and  VDDARM23_IN is connected to power (pcb trace that I cannot remove), am I still drawing small amounts of current? Or am I best to modify the pcb to ground both the input and output of VDDARM23 and 23CAP.

I am thinking we will re-do the pcb anyway, but I am curious if it will have any effect.

Thanks!

Brent

0 Kudos
rikw_
Contributor I

I'm glad you found this issue before I finished my PCB.  Since floating inputs are generally a bad idea, it seems like the best solution would be to add another zero ohm removable bridge between VDDCORE and VDDARM23_IN on the left-hand side of the schematic.  That's what I'm going to do.

0 Kudos
ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

I am glad that we were able bring up  a discussion point at least.

None of the demo boards or sample schematics show VDDARM23_IN floating or grounded, so we found out the hard way.

Since we are not using cores 2&3 I think the best solution is to tie both IN and CAP rails to ground (as opposed to the input to VDDCORE which is how it is now with cap floating).

We will tie both VDDARM23_IN and CAP to ground with a zero ohm and I will post my results back here.

Cheers

Brent

0 Kudos
sreekn
Contributor I

There is an application note from Freescale AN4397.pdf, regarding common hardware for all 4 versions of processors. The All in one circuit, is as shown below, for the power section.

Freescale.png

Figure 1. All-In-One circuit
Table 4. VDDARMxx_xx Power Connections
          i.MX 6Quad      i.MX 6Dual      i.MX 6DualLite           i.MX 6Solo
SH1     Shorted              Open                Shorted                  Shorted
SH2     Shorted              Open                Shorted                  Shorted
R1         Open                Shorted            Open                      Open
R2         Open                Shorted            Open                      Open

0 Kudos
ottawa-imx6
Contributor IV

Thanks everyone for your input!

Problem solved!

Brent

0 Kudos