cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.mx28 and large kernel with initramfs = oom killer

oskiercz
Contributor I

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use kernel combined with initramfs which is 8MB big (uncompressed ~25MB), but when kernel is booting some oom-killer actions are taken (output attached). I have 128MB of RAM so size of memory is not an issue. I suspect that problem is that uncompressed initramfs + kernel overlaps some memory region which should not be touched. Is the size of memory for uncompressed kernel along with initramfs limited somehow? Could anybody help me? I can add that when kernel and initramfs image are separated then system works fine.

Thanks

Original Attachment has been moved to: initramfs.fail.zip

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi oskiercz

for initramfs configuring please look link below

https://community.freescale.com/thread/305045

Best regards

chip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

oskiercz
Contributor I

Hi chipexpert,

I forgot to add that I have to use u-boot as a bootloader, which as far as I understand, doesn't allow me to use imx28_(ivt_)linux.sb file (because it's booted itself, without any external bootloader), so second method from link you provided is not for me (third also because it's about separated images).

What I found out, that there is a size limit for kernel image (if initramfs is built in then overall size), here's a topic: Discussing the Linux ARM kernel. I think that the actual cause of my problems.

Any opinion would be welcomed.

Thanks

0 Kudos