i.mx 8M Mini: Required USB pins to provision processor?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.mx 8M Mini: Required USB pins to provision processor?

Jump to solution
adevries
Contributor V

Hello,

I am working on a design that uses the i.MX 8M Mini application processor. I know this processor is capable of USB OTG mode, which uses 7 pins (VBUS, DP, DN, ID, GND, OTG_OC, and OTG_PWR). However, if I have no need for OTG mode, and I only ever need my board to act as a USB peripheral, is it acceptable to not connect pins ID, OTG_OC, and OTG_PWR? If I only route VBUS, DP, DN, and GND out to a USB connector, will I still be able to use the USB port to initially provision the processor and load the OS image on the e.MMC?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

@adevries 
Hello,

Correct - when the processor is in serial download mode and writing the OS image
to e.MMC, it is never acting as a USB host.

When the USB ID is left floating means USB device mode. This is true as much as software
follows USB specs. 

Regards,
Yuri.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

@adevries 
Hello,

Generally - from hardware point of view - it is possible
to use Your approach, assuming the ID pin is left floating
(not grounded).

Nevertheless, regarding software, please use Chapter 19 (Porting
USB) of the i.MX Porting Guide and section 4.9 (USB)of the i.MX Linux
Reference Manual.

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/embedded-software/i-mx-software/embedded-linux-for-i-mx-applicat...

Regards,
Yuri.

0 Kudos
adevries
Contributor V

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for the information. So when the processor is in serial download mode and writing the OS image to e.MMC, it is never acting as a USB host, right?

Do I need to change some setting in software to disable OTG functionality? Or is disconnecting OTG_OC, OTG_PWR, and ID sufficient to make sure the processor always acts as a USB peripheral?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

@adevries 
Hello,

Correct - when the processor is in serial download mode and writing the OS image
to e.MMC, it is never acting as a USB host.

When the USB ID is left floating means USB device mode. This is true as much as software
follows USB specs. 

Regards,
Yuri.

adevries
Contributor V

great, thank you for the information!

0 Kudos