i.MX8QM SATA support

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX8QM SATA support

pbain
Contributor III

Hi, we have hit a snag with out design... Using the preliminary documentation, we had selected a pSLC mSATA mass storage device, only to find a little footnote on the latest datasheet that SATA is not supported and the pins are only there for future use if enabled.
Can you please confirm that there is definitely no SATA support on the i.MX8QM and if there is a estimated time for this to be enabled? A little frustrating given SD, CF and eMMC are suportted but no where near as fast.

Thank you,

Peter

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Reza_2021
Contributor I

Hello,

Does IMX8QM5 support M.2 SSD over SATA?

Thanks,

Reza

0 Kudos

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Peter

I am sure you are aware of this but I wonder if you had considered the 1× PCIe 3.0 (2-lanes) on the SoC to drive a SATA solution. I am investigating something similar for another customer so I thought you might want to look into this as well.

Best regards

Sinan Akman

pbain
Contributor III

Hi Sinan, Thanks for the suggestion. I have been looking at that and have found a neat Marvell chip which may solve my problem. They do a few varieties with single, dual or multiple SATA channels. See the link below under 'SATA Controllers'
Storage SSD - Host Storage Controllers - Products - Marvell 

sinanakman
Senior Contributor III

Hi Peter, it would be interesting to see the results with one of these chips. From the data sheet it looks like iMXQ does not have Gen 2 so this might have an impact. Do you know if it is Gen 1 or Gen 2 on this SoC ?

Regards

Sinan Akman

0 Kudos

pbain
Contributor III

Hi Sinan,
The i.MX8QM appears to have the following from the latest Technical Datasheet:
1x PCIE 3.0 (2 lanes) or 2x PCIE 3.0 (1 lane).
Under the PLL it lists Gen 2 and Gen 3 clocks.

The i.MX8QN Reference Manual I have states (Rev F) "The PCIe DM controller supports Gen 1/2/3 protocols." BUT this is also the manual that stated SATA was an option which turns out it is not. Still waiting for the latest Reference Manual to compare the differences.

To further complicate it, the Technical Datasheet released in Oct says that SATA is not functioning, but the Family Fact Sheet released in Nov lists it as a function with nothing to say it isn't. False advertising?

I am looking at PCIE memory as an option as well. Swissbit do one which appears to be suitable and about the same cost as the SATA solution with much higher read/write speeds.
Regards
Peter

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Peter Bain,

I understand your predicament. We do not have a public roadmap of if/when SATA will be supported on the i.MX8QM. My recommendation would be contacting your FAE or Distributor and voice this concern.

My apologies for the inconvenience.
Regards,

0 Kudos