i.MX8MQLite boot with GPMI raw nand

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX8MQLite boot with GPMI raw nand

mablett
Contributor III

I am trying to boot an i.MX8MQLite board using raw nand / GPMI.  All i.MX8M examples I find on-line assume eMMC and/or SD card, not raw nand.  Instructions I find are for similar devices (i.MX8Q/i.MX6, etc).  Are there any direct instructions / suggestions for this particular situation (i.MX8MQLite / raw nand)?

I have gotten through the revised DDR configuration / training tasks, have built the u-boot and gotten up to the point where the NAND is to be programmed, and the process fails.

Specifics

- board design based on iMX8MQ_evk, but without eMMC/SD and slightly-altered LPDDR4 (swizzled DQ6/DQ7lines).

- imx-yocto-L4.14.98-2.0.0_ga

- Separate u-boot build (2018.03, per the above yocto instructions).

- LPDDR4 training / timing / initialization successful.

- imx_mkimage builds the resulting combined U-boot (SPL + standard), ATF, SCUFW, DDR setup).

- Using UUU (with the built-in "nand" script), boots U-Boot SPL, configures DDR, loads standard u-boot, boots into it, then gets to the point where it attempts nand programming.

- fails on the uuu script line "FB: ucmd if env exists nandfit_part; then nand erase.part nandfit; nand write ${fastboot_buffer} nandfit ${fastboot_bytes}; fi;"

- If I break into the u-boot prompt, I can issue commands to manually read nand flash pages.

I am about to manually transfer and program pages of the flash, but since the automatic scripts fail, I'm concerned that there is a missing step somewhere that I can't find.

Any other's comments / experience with this configuration would be helpful (for me and for others attempting this configuration).  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Matthew,

About NAND BOOT of I.MX8MQ, see descriptions below, please!

------------------------

1. You should use SLC NAND FLASH

Starting from Linux BSP 4.14.X, MLC NAND Flash is not recommended, because UBI file system doesn't continue to support MLC NAND.

2. I.MX8MQ-EVK doesn't support NAND Flash

For the reason that I.MX8MQ-EVK doesn't support NAND FLASH, NAND flash device is not supported in device tree.

3. How to support NAND FLASH on i.MX8MQ Platform

You can find source code of imx8mq-arm2 board in linux BSP(U-BOOT / Kernel device tree),  the board is imx8mq validation board, it supports NAND Flash.  So you can refer to it's souce code and add NAND to your board.

--------------------------

Hope above information is helpful for you!

Have a great day!

BR,

Weidong

0 Kudos