Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX8MP TSN implementation details

Jump to solution
matteo_silotto
Contributor II

Hi support team,

on i.MX8MPlus only one ethernet port supports TSN (ENET2_TSN).

In the EVK reference design, you do not use a PHY with a hardware timestamp nor other additional signals (eg. Start-of-frame detect) from the PHY to the MAC.

So, could you confirm that the TSN implementation on i.MX8MPlus is a pure software or MAC level implementation? And does it not require a specific PHY?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

@matteo_silotto 
Hello,

yes, " the TSN functionality has no dependence on the ethernet PHY used".

Regards,
Yuri.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
matteo_silotto
Contributor II

Hi Yuri,

thanks for the link. I've analyzed it and it explains the software setup for the AVB/TSN demo.

I'm talking about the hardware requirement of the TSN ethernet interface. On the EVK reference schematic there is no hardware difference between EHT1 and ETH2, but only ETH2 supports the TSN.

Could you confirm that the TSN functionality has no dependence on the ethernet PHY used?

Best regards,

Matteo Silotto

0 Kudos
Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

@matteo_silotto 
Hello,

Customers can refer to the following demo:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors-Knowledge-Base/AVB-TSN-demo-on-i-MX8MP/ta-p/1123791

Regards,
Yuri.

0 Kudos
matteo_silotto
Contributor II

Hi Yuri,

thanks for the link. I've analyzed it and it explains the software setup for the AVB/TSN demo.

I'm talking about the hardware requirement of the TSN ethernet interface. On the EVK reference schematic there is no hardware difference between EHT1 and ETH2, but only ETH2 supports the TSN.

Could you confirm that the TSN functionality has no dependence on the ethernet PHY used?

Best regards,

Matteo Silotto

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

@matteo_silotto 
Hello,

yes, " the TSN functionality has no dependence on the ethernet PHY used".

Regards,
Yuri.

0 Kudos